32.

Raurlin accepts a plate of food from Naomi who sits down beside him and gently sets her plate of steaming food down. She wasn't expecting to be so hungry and convinced Raurlin and Jackson to eat "normal people food" to see the wolves more at ease.

Jackson and Sarah sit directly across the table in front of Raurlin and Naomi. Naomi can see that Sarah is more relaxed. She is laughing at something Jackson has said and Jackson looks proud of himself.

"Look at those two," Raurlin says after he scoops a fork full of rice into his mouth.

"I know...something is definitely up. Are you enjoying the food?"

"It's amazing, doll. I'm glad you convinced me to get in on this."

The wolves are walking about all around them and it's loud but comforting. People are clambering into seats all around the table and digging into the food. Sandy sits at the end of the table and she examines the table then once she spots Naomi she waves and winks.

Naomi's trainer, Benedict, sits down beside her with a warm smile. Naomi was happy with her training, she felt so empowered running through the drills with the trainee wolves.

"Raur, this is my trainer, Benedict."

Raurlin looks past Naomi at the wolf training her. He bites down hard but reaches across the table and shakes his hand firmly.

"It's great to meet you Raurlin. You've got a strong lady here-"

"Yes I know, Ben. Is it okay if I call you Ben?" Raurlin turns back to his plate and continues eating. He can feel Naomi's embarrassment and wants to kick himself.

Mikain stands at the head of the table and raises a glass of wine. The table falls silent immediately and it sends chills down Raurlin's spine.

"My fellow wolves, my pack, I'm sure you've noticed we have some guests with us up here in the mountains." He motions to the four. "Raurlin, we welcome you home with your family and we want you to know that you are always welcome here amongst the wolves."

There's a "welcome home?" Shouted from the end of the table and Mikain grins and nods, his glass still in the air.

"Raurlin is the son of the one and only Maddox The Destroyer! He is part wolf! He is one of us! He is home!"

The wolves are silent for an excruciating moment and then there's cheering and banging of cutlery on the table. A wolf at the end of the table stands up and claps slowly, sarcastically.

"All hail the half wolf...Maddoxes son? Tell me Mik should we be calling him or you Alpha?"

He's dressed in dirty overalls and he reeks of cheap liquor. Naomi is about to kick the chair up from under him and before she can Raurlin has a hand tightly on her thigh. She looks at him with a frown and quickly realizes he is trying his best to stay calm.

The table falls silent and Mikain is battling back a partial shift. Jackson realizes the actions of this lone wolf are dangerously close to treason and that is both scary and confusing considering the wolves have an extreme lack of intolerance for any wolf that would question their Alpha.

Dezra stands up from beside Sarah with a look of disappointment on her face. "Brody" is all she says. The lone wolf stumbles away from the table and makes for the door. Dezra turns to Mikain "my deepest apologies, Mikain. I'll deal with this."

The silence remains until Dezra and Brody have left the kitchen altogether. Benedict stands up glass in hand and turns to Raurlin. His eyes glow a pale gold. "All hail the half-blood, son of Maddox!"