9.

Sarah drops the box onto her bedroom floor and it lands with a heavy thud that she can feel in her bare feet. Jackson had stayed quite a while, longer than she expected, and much to her disdain Naomi was right; Jackson was good company. They chatted for hours and eventually Naomi called it a night. Sarah found herself opening up greatly. She tried to stop herself but she felt as if she wanted to share every detail of her life with him. Jackson.

Now sitting cross-legged on her bedroom floor she realises she hardly knows anything about him. She makes a mental note to get to know him a little better the next time they meet. She begins digging through the contents of the box yet again. There's some books, some clothes and some jewellery. Underneath it all there's a heavy book wrapped in dirty white tissue paper. Sarah lifts the book and dusts it lightly. An uneasy feeling runs through her a mixture of hesitance and excitement. She tears the paper and crumbles it on the floor beside.

Beneath the tissue is a tightly bound leather journal with a crest branded on the front. The crest is a scale with the word "Libra" branded below it in a twirly cursive. Sarah frowns at picking up her cellphone. "Grandma wasn't a libra?" Sarah types the word into the phones search engine and the immediate result is the star sign. She adds 'translation' and the next result is the translation of the word libra meaning balance. Sarah locks the screen and puts the phone down.

She rubs over the crest before gently opening the heavy journal. A white envelope slips out and glides across the floor. Sarah reaches forward and picks it up. Her name is scribbled across in untidy handwriting and she grins. She eases the journal onto her lap and tears the envelope open. On the inside is a handwritten note on a piece of faded yellow lined paper. She opens the paper carefully.

'My dear Sarah,

If you're finding this then that means I'm gone. By now I've entered into the Great After. I know it's such a cliche but how else was I to start this letter?

But this letter is not about me. It's about the journal you have found. The grimoire. This grimoire has been in our family for centuries and if it has found its way to you that means something has shifted. Something is out of balance and balance has to be restored.

My only regret in my death is that I did not teach you the truth about who you really are during my time on Earth. Your mother wasn't for it. She wasn't for any of it even when I tried to teach her. Perhaps she told you that I was just a rambling old lady. And sure I rambled but there is truth in my ramblings. Perhaps it's best to exclude your mother from the knowledge of this discovery of yours.

There is a great history that you must learn. Start by reading the grimoire and take it slow. You are ready and the grimoire will reveal all of its truth to you. The truth about who you are, the truth about why you are and the truth about why it's necessary for you to know the truth now. Be cautious. Everything around you isn't what it seems and everyone around you is not who they claim to be.

My sweet little Sarah, do not be afraid. You are not alone. You have never been alone. Take charge of your truth, live it to the fullest. Don't doubt yourself or your capabilities. Trust in yourself, trust your gut and follow your instinct with certainty and ferocity!

I love you and I am always with you

Grandma J.'

Sarah folds the letter closed and gently places it back in the envelope. She slips the envelope into the journal...the grimoire and wraps it closed. Sarah holds the ancient book to her chest and as she does it's as if a warmth radiates around her. Like arms holding her tight. Silent tears fall down her cheeks. Sarah smiles and stands up. She leaves the box where it is and walks over to her bed. She lays down, the book still against her chest and shuts her eyes. She is asleep quickly and dreaming deeply.