20.

Naomi greets a friend from her class as she walks out the campus building and into the parking lot. She is in good spirits and is excited to see Raurlin. She examines the car park with a hand shielding the sun from her eyes. She spots Jackson leaning against the door of his car. He gives a small wave and Naomi ignores the disappointment she feels and walks to where he is standing.

"Hello Naomi."

"Hey Jax."

They hug and Jackson holds the passenger door open. Naomi sits into the passenger seat. Her backpack between her feet. Jackson walks briskly around the car and sits into the driver's seat. He turns to Naomi, hesitates and then turns the key in the ignition. Naomi frowns.

"Where is Raurlin?"

"On official business with the king. He asked me to take you to your apartment to get clothes."

Naomi nods slowly "Jax? You seem to know a lot about this life partner stuff...Why do I feel like I can't leave him?"

"That's a nice way of putting it. I know you're disappointed that he isn't here. I know that leaving him feels like the biggest mistake and I know that you would wage seven wars in his honour."

Naomi flushes then rolls her eyes.

"You're not answering my question, Jackson."

"Ancient magick ensured that this union between the two of you would happen. The point was for vampires to exist solely within their own species until eventually they died out of existence but that eventuality could mean many lifetimes and so ancient magick ensured that when vampires come across their life partners they feel everything they need to feel in a matter of moments."

"It feels like we've had lifetimes."

"That's how it should feel, Naomi."