31.

Naomi and Raurlin trot downstairs. After their conversation Naomi felt better. She had a quick shower and then got dressed in a pair of black leggings and comfortable trainers. Raurlin insisted on her wearing one of his hoodies. The hoodie engulfs her but it smells like him and Naomi is happy to be wearing it.

Jackson and Sarah are standing at the bottom of the stairs and Sarah is visibly nervous. She is examining and pushing her cuticles back while tapping her right foot. Jackson wraps an arm around her and kisses the top of her head.

Mikain and Sandy walk from the kitchen to where the four are waiting. Beside them is an intriguingly beautiful woman with dark chocolate skin and long dreads that glitter with good jewellery.

"I hope you all had a good night" Mikain states "today we get down to business. I hope you're already for it. Sarah, this is Dez, our resident witch."

They shake hands and Sarah says suddenly "you're not nearly strong enough." She flushes a bright red and mutters "I'm so sorry I have no idea why I said that."

Dez chuckles and shakes her head "it's okay. I am much weaker than you by comparison, sister. I can't wait to get to work with you! Are you ready?"

Sarah turns to Naomi who nods a look of encouragement and Sarah turns back to Dez who is holding out a hand. They clasp hands and walk back through the kitchen.

Sandy winks at Naomi "you seem ready for your day, Naomi. Come on, let me show you where the trainees meet." Raurlin kisses Naomi on the cheek and watches on as she walks slowly with Sandy.

Mikain grins at Raurlin and Jackson. "I'm really happy that you're both here. Come, let's talk in my office. There's someone I'd like you to meet."

They follow Mikain through the house and into a large office. There is another man, a wolf, who is pouring four drinks. He is tall and sleek and dressed in a crisp grey suit.

"Gentlemen, this is Armon, he's my right hand man."

He hands Mikain a drink and then one to Raurlin and Jackson. "Welcome both of you. I haven't been around vampires in such a long time and I'm so thrilled that we're able to meet in this way."

He gestures to two chairs in front of Mikains desk and Jackson and Raurlin sit down, sipping on their whiskey. Mikain sits down in a large leather chair on the opposite side of the desk and Armon perches on the edge.

"Raurlin, I suppose we should begin with what you already know," Mikain says, opening a drawer and pulling out a file. "I hope you don't mind if I make notes of this. We wolves like to keep a codified account of our history."

"By all means. As far as I know my birth father was a wolf named Maddox."

Armon looks at Mikain and it's a look that doesn't go unnoticed to Jackson. Jackson frowns and leans forward slightly.

"Maddox was the Alpha that led our people into the great war. He was my great uncle. They called him Maddox the Destroyer. He was instantly able to control the shift."

"Control the shift?"

"Yes, Jackson, on full moon days when the moon is at its apex we're unable to control shifting into our full wolf form. Once in that form it's pure animal instinct."

"I see. And we all know that Selby caused an eclipse during The Great War so that wolves would experience their first shift."

"Exactly. But Maddox was something of a legend. On a normal day we're able to partially shift. Fangs and facial hair is about as good as it gets. But not Maddox, when Selby pulled the sky together Maddox continued to fight in a partial wolf state. It's said that he was the most at peace with his wolf form and that's why he could control the shift. He's been the only wolf in our history to control the shift."