27.

Naomi flings the apartment door open and Sarah is digging in the fridge. She looks up over her shoulder and her face brightens.

"Naomi!"

Naomi grins at Sarah and drops a bag on the floor as she stumbles into the apartment. She drops the large bouquet of roses onto the kitchen counter and Sarah pulls her into a tight hug.

"I missed you so much!"

"I know I missed you too. Let me get my things in here."

Naomi locks the door and drops her school bag beside her overnight bag. Sarah turns back to the fridge and places a tub of ice cream on the counter. She hands Naomi a tablespoon with a smile.

"Nice roses."

"Why thank you. These are apologetic, please be my girlfriend roses."

"Apologetic?"

Sarah spoons a mouthful of ice cream.

"Yeah we got into it a little bit last night. I think I just needed some space."

"But he did just lose his father, Naomi. That's something you can resonate with."

Naomi stirs the ice cream as it slowly starts to melt.

"To an extent. I mean he actually knew his father."

Naomi sighs heavily. She missed being home but suddenly home doesn't feel like home anymore. She misses Raurlin, greatly.

"I told him you're helping me study."

Sarah laughs loudly and exclaims "what a great big lie. You only have like two that you physically need to go to campus for."

"I know. I'm a terrible person. I just needed some time to process."

"That's fair. I also kicked Jackson out for a while. I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed. He told me about Raurlin's real father."

"Yeah it seems we're going on a little road trip. Please tell me you'll come with?"

Naomi looks at Sarah with a pleading look. Sarah rolls her eyes.

"I already told Jackson I would."

Naomi sighs a sigh of relief.

"So what's been going on with you two?"

Sarah lifts the large bouquet of roses and places them in the sink. She starts looking for a vase that will accomodate them. Naomi watches on amused as Sarah ignores the question.

"Look...I just feel like I'm in such a tricky situation. He's a vampire. I'm not supposed to be with him. But I also know how I feel when I'm with him. Everything is just so different now."

"Look under the sink for a vase. I get what you mean but I feel like this is such a major season for change. Things I thought were impossible are now my reality. I don't think a relationship between you and Jackso is the most far-fetched thing right now."

Sarah pulls a vase out and fills it with water then gently eases the huge bouquet into the water. She gently carries it to where Naomi is sitting. She places them in front of Naomi and examines them closely. She wouldn't mind being treated to a surprise bouquet of roses. She wouldn't mind knowing that she would have a partner for the rest of her life.

"What are you thinking about?"

"If you don't become a vampire, they're going to outlive us both. If you do become a vampire you'll all outlive me."

The realisation causes Naomi's heart to jump. Anxiety begins creeping through her and she inhales and exhales. She can feel her breathing begin to quicken. Sarah is still fixated on the flowers and doesn't notice. Naomi clears her throat.

"Well, that's enough existentialism for one day. Let's call it a night and regroup in the morning."

Sarah chuckles as she lifts a rose out the bunch. She sniffs it and turns to Naomi.

"Yes you can keep the rose and yes I'll lock up. Go on. We'll catch up in the morning."

Sarah smiles, not having realised how much she missed her best friend. She wanders off to her room and as opposed to settling into bed she sits cross-legged on her bed and starts flipping through the grimoire that she chooses to keep on her bedside table. There's a simple spell to extend the longevity of plants. It only requires an incantation and Sarah places the rose between the pages and examines the incantation carefully.

She holds a hand out over the rose, her fingers stretched out. She inhales deeply and shuts her eyes. She recites the incantation once, twice and then three times. On the third incantation the feeling of the earth magick is coursing through her veins. It's refreshing and feels more light and natural. She can feel it drain her ever so slightly.

The grimoire did say that the more she practised the stronger she would get but only recently it felt as if a beacon had gone off inside of her and every little thing she could feel with ease. The use of magick, the change in weather, the way it affected her. She exhales and opens her eyes. The red in the petals of the rose seems to gleam shiny. She can smell the scent it gives off clearly. The stem is a replenished green. The leaves slowly straighten from the slight droops.

Sarah grins at her work. She closes the grimoire with the rose still in between the pages. She decides she will examine the rose in the morning. The only way to know the full effect of the spell would be to test the rose in different environments. And with winter slowly rolling in that would be the ultimate test. She settles into bed.

Naomi closes the ice cream tub and puts it back in the freezer. She places the spoons in the sink and then locks the door. She locks it witht he key and latches it. Naomi sits back down and runs a hand gently over the roses. The reality that she would have to shift in order to be with Raurlin terrifies her. Her phone vibrates in her back pocket. She pulls it out and unlocks it. There's a message from Raurlin.

'Good evening, Naomi. I hope that your evening is going well. Home doesn't feel like home without you. Have a good sleep and I'll see you soon.

-Your boyfriend'

Naomi smiles at the message.

'Good evening, Raur. Thank you for checking in and for the flowers. They're beautiful. I miss you too. Try and get some rest. See you soon,

-Your girlfriend'

She sits for a few moments and waits for a response. After a few minutes and no response she locks her screen and puts her phone back in her back pocket. She stands up and gathers her bag then walks to her room. Jackson's bag is still on the bed. She drops her bags beside it then lifts his bag and places it on her desk. She kicks her shoes off and then sits down at the edge of the bed. The curtain is open and the city lights are flickering. Naomi sits in silence watching the lights.