24.

Naomi crosses her legs on Raurlin's bed and he sits on the chair in front of her. A file in his left hand. The air is serious and tense and it causes goosebumps on Naomi's skin. There's a moment of silence and Raurlin clears his throat.

"Do you trust me, Naomi?"

The answer is immediate and certain.

"Yes."

"Lay down. Close your eyes. Try to stay calm."

Naomi does as she's told. Raurlin holds a hand out over her forehead and his palm is warm.

"I'm going to tell you but it will also be easier if you can see it for yourself. This is another vampire trick. The capacity to share and influence memories."

Naomi tries to calm her breathing, her chest rising and falling rhythmically.

"The day I knew something had changed I had woken up with an ache in my stomach so intense I was sure I was dying."

Naomi's eyes flutter open and she's in a bed in a wooden house. The sun is streaming through the window. She holds a hand up and sees that it's not her hand. She can hear Raurlin talking but it's faint. There's an ache in her stomach and she keels over in pain wrapping her hands across her belly. Her tongue salivates.

A woman walks into the room and she kneels beside the bed. She has thick curly blonde hair that cascades over her shoulders. She has soft blue eyes that crease in the corners as she smiles as she ruffles a hand through Naomi's hair.

"Good morning my strong boy" she leans forward and kisses Naomi's cheek except she knows it's not her cheek and she knows that it's not but it feels so real.

"Morning Mamma...by the Gods my belly aches."

The woman laughs and it's delicate and lyrical.

"Don't take the Gods in vain, my boy."

"I'm not Mamma, I'm calling out to them to remove the ache from my belly!"

She laughs again and there's a loud booming voice that exclaims "Kalle!" There's a loud bang but Naomi isn't startled. The woman, Kalle, turns and looks over her shoulder then turns back to Naomi.

"Come on Raurlin. I'm sure that's your father at the table. Let's go eat and cure that belly ache."

She seems to glide across the room and right out the door. Naomi watches as legs swing off the edge of the bed and bare feet wad around the structure to a chest at the foot of the bed.

Inside the chest are clothes...old clothes neatly stacked. Some are worn and torn and others are neat and clean covered in beautiful embroidery. Naomi gets dressed quickly and makes for the door. Her...his body is stiff and the intense hunger almost forces him to double over. In the living room or equivalent thereof there's a large wooden table with a fireplace in front of it. The fire has just been put out and the room is warm and toasty.

There's a large man seated at the end of the table. His large hands are clasped together and are knotted on the table. His head is tilted back and his large chest is rising and falling with every breath. He has tattoos covering both his arms and the left side of his head. Naomi gently pulls a chair out from the opposite end of the table and slowly eases into the chair.

"Do you mean to not greet your father, boy?"

"No Pappa, I meant only not to disturb your thoughts."

The man scoffs and opens his eyes and leans forward. His eyes pierce right into Naomi's and she tries to look away but she can't.

"My thoughts? My thoughts are that you have yet again slept in and failed in your duties to this home and this land."