10.

Jackson opens the apartment door and as soon as he steps inside he's inside being pinned against the wall. Raurlin's eyes are gleaming red and he's battling back fangs.

"Where have you been, Jackson?"

"Raur let me go. We just replaced the couch."

Raurlin let's go suddenly and Jackson is almost clumsy on his feet. He straightens and walks to the kitchen where Raurlin is pouring a drink. He drops two ice cubes into his glass then brushes past Jackson and sits in the lounge. The anger surrounding him is palpable and Jackson finds himself pouring a drink too.

"I can smell her on you. Why were you with her?"

Jackson settles down beside Raurlin and sips at his drink.

"I wasn't there to see her Raurlin. I was there to see her friend. And you can't just ignore her Raurlin. You'll kill yourself and you know it."

"How am I supposed to be with her Jackson? She is but a child."

"Raurlin please if you want to find someone closer to your requirements we'll have to start digging up graves."

Jackson nudges Raurlin and Raurlin cracks a smile.

Jackson continues "I don't think she knows Raurlin. The gene could be laying dormant. Rejecting her might not kill her if she's still human but it will definitely kill you. What's our plan?"

Raurlin shakes his head and disputes "I just found out that my father isn't my father. My main priority isn't exactly explaining our existence to a human-"

"She's not just a human Raur, she carries the gene. She's your aeturnum."

Raurlin sighs and downs his drink. He stands up and walks to the kitchen and leaves his glass in the sink with the ice cues slowly melting down. Jackson sips at his drink, waiting for Raurlin to eventually make it to bed. Once he's certain that Raurlin is asleep he walks to his room and settles into his chair. He shuts his eyes and after a few deep inhales steadies his breathing to a deadly slow rate.

Jackson's eyes flutter open and on the bed beside him Naomi is laying with the drip running through her hands. Naomi's eyes open and first her heart is pounding with the panic of not being able to tell if she's awake or not. She settles when she sees Jackson. She tries to move but her body is completely shut down. Of course because she is experiencing what Raurlin will experience.

"You again. Hey Jax."

"Hello Naomi. I'm sorry to take up so much of your time when you're awake and asleep."

"That's okay. Why am I here now Jax?"

"I need to tell you what an Auternum is, Naomi."

Naomi remains silent waiting for Jackson to continue and he does.

"Because we were turned by a spell it's possible that there are humans who carry the vampire gene."

"Yes I know. We've been through this."

"Right but what you don't know is that it is possible for a human to be paired to be a vampire. We call it an Auternum."

"What do you mean Jax? Paired?"

"Think about it like having a soulmate someone who you're destined to be with."

Jackson remains silent allowing Naomi time to process.

"Why are you telling me about Auternums, Jax?"

"You know why Naomi. I need you to understand what happens when a vampire rejects an arturnum. If they are both vampires they will both die. But you're a human right now and you might survive it but he's a vampire and he won't."