13. Proud

Shane

He licked his lips and smiled to himself as he watched Jeremy leave the classroom. There were a few students walking around now so he didn't want to be seen leaving at the same time as he did. As Jeremy left, he kept looking back and smiled when the two boys made eye contact, making Shane feel a strange sense of pride that the boy walking down the halls of our school was his.

When Jeremy was farther ahead of him, Shane walked out of the classroom and headed to the cafeteria where his friends would be waiting. When he arrived, Ethan was sitting at their usual table with Dave and his girlfriend, Tris who had dyed her hair to a different color. Her brown hair was now a bluish-gray and Shane thought it suited her really well.

"Hey guys," the boy greeted and sat down on the opposite end of the table, facing them. Dave nodded at him in response to his greeting. He spared a glance at Ethan, noticing that the blonde boy was looking at him weirdly. Shane looked down at his shirt and smoothed it with his hands when he realized that it was wrinkled. His eyes went from Shane's face to his shirt and back again, making the brown eyed boy groan at him. Ethan raised a brow at him and gave me a look that said we'll talk later.

Shane was unsure if Ethan had figured out what he had done before coming to the cafeteria, which was a bit worrisome because it would mean he would have to come clean about cheating on Meghan and with whom he was cheating.

Lunch was over soon after he had sat down so he didn't get the chance to eat, but that didn't bother him. Shane was used to going long hours without eating. What did bother him was his potential coming out to Ethan. His best friend was one of the most caring and sweetest people he knew but even then, he wasn't sure how Ethan would react if Shane told him he liked men. Shane watched his two friends walk ahead of him to the class they shared together, wondering if both of them would accept him.

Though, his fears seemed to subside when Ethan asked Matt Pierce, a boy in their class to switch seats with the new kid, Mitchell. It struck Shane as odd that Ethan would do such a thing, that he would go out of his way to get the short boy to sit next to him. Sure, he liked to befriend people and help out kids who got bullied but this was a bit far for someone he was only trying to be friends with. Dave may not have noticed as he didn't say anything but Shane watched on quietly at how Ethan looked at the boy and addressed him with the softest of tones.

He seemed a bit timid and almost scared that someone was going to jump him but Shane found it cute and couldn't stop himself from speaking to him. "Hey, Mitchy!" He said, smiling at him.

The boy's blue eyes widened a bit as he was probably alarmed that Shane spoke to him. He waved at him, which was the only response Shane got, making him frown and turn to Ethan. The blonde boy simply shrugged and looked away.

He pursed his lips, pouting as he tried to figure out just who the kid was and why Ethan was so interested in him. Shane didn't have time to bother with that though and focused on the class instead. When they closed, Ethan had detention and weirdly enough, it was with Mitchell. Those two were weird, Shane thought as he turned to Dave to ask if he could give him a ride home.

"Oh... Tris and I are going to the lake," Dave said. "But I can drop you off before we go."

"Nah, that's okay. I'll find a way home," He told Dave and took out his phone. As everyone left to their destinations, Shane walked out of the building, hoping that Jeremy had not left already. He didn't see the boy's car though which dampened his spirits.

Have you left already? He sent the text and he responded just moments after.

I just pulled out of the parking lot. Should I wait?