CHAPTER 23

Cc: Fashion. Leave it to us. :/

VALYRA.

A beautiful day shouldn't be wasted on disrupting thoughts, I decided, so I started my day blank and happy.

Fruit Loops with strawberry milk is the best breakfast, so that's what I got, and I fixed up my bed until it's clean and neat. Yes, I do my chores, thank you. I mean, I live alone these days so I don't really have a choice.

After washing up, I put on a cashmere Chanel vest and a pair of embroidered and acid washed Guess jeans, and then slipped into a pair of Balenciaga sneakers worn over a pair of ankle length plain white socks. Before I got into my car, I texted Kelly to let her know I'm on the way.

We usually do that. The only ones who doesn't do that among people close to me are my brother and Matt.

Anyway, Kelly doesn't do much outside of working for her grandfather and schoolwork, so we just pull her out of her house or her grandfather's office whenever we feel like it. Or at least that's what I've been doing since we were little.

Once again, I am confronted by the lavishness of her home, and I have this feeling of gladness that it didn't become some barrier between Kelly and us. She may look the part of a jeweler's granddaughter and heir, and even look snobbish to others, but she's always been a warm person, and I'd like to think of her as an older sister I look up to.

It's always been how my mind worked. It was Kelly, Alex, and I, and since Alex was the youngest among us, though we were born in the same year, I just quickly thought of him as my little brother. I know it's not a big deal now, but it already stuck to me.

I called up Kelly. "Hey, come out now," I said.

Of course, a maid opened the doors and Kelly strutted out like a model. Shesaid something to her maid with a small bow and waved at the guard at the gate as she came out.

"Pull up your hood," she said quickly as she sat in my car.

Ahh, her hair's all fixed up today.

Kelly was wearing a Givenchy suit with a Gucci belt and a Prada handbag. Her shoes were Louboutins, too.

What a flaunt! Just kidding.

"Kelly, hun, we're going to the mall," I pointed out. I felt that it was too fancy, it's like she's dressing up for something else.

She shrugged. "After the mall, I have to go straight to the gala. You can take me there right?"

"Yup!" I just noticed she sounded chattier today.

Right now, the thought in my head was that despite the branded clothing we didn't really look gaudy, which was a good thing so people wouldn't be inclined to say that we looked snobby or anything. Although, it's not like Kelly cares at all...

"Can we go to the other mall?" she said. "I prefer proper air conditioning today." She looked disoriented and didn't seem like she was in the mood to chat, contrary to how she spoke seconds ago.

I drove straight to that mall and quickly found a parking spot, and didn't talk to Kelly except for occasional remarks like confirming our agenda. She'll talk when she wants to.

We had this thing where we didn't need to talk, we just knew where the other was going. People said it made us look like twins. It comes from years of friendship, we didn't even notice it until someone told us.

We went straight to the first shop that sold more glamorous dresses-- one of the shops we would frequent for their great deals and amazing design and quality, and I went straight to the black dresses. Black dresses are Claire's thing. Black clothes in general.

And Maddie, as I've mentioned before, but for this one, I'm getting her cream since she mentioned before that she'd like to try a silky cream dress for her next event.

When we go out shopping Kelly usually takes care of hers and mine, and I pick for everyone else.

Alright.

I rolled up my non-existent sleeves. Let's do this.

It didn't take me too long to find a good one for Maddie,since she ahd previously explained what she wanted based on a dress she found in this exact store, but Claire's was a little harder because I didn't just try to choose a dress she would look good in, but a dress she would enjoy wearing. Claire fidgets with her dress at events, so it would be fitting to choose her a dress with various details like beads.

Claire's is a black dress with a bejeweled top with a silky turtleneck and a golden necklace-like detail at the base of the collar, a sequined, tight fit at the waist to hip, and a loose, tulle and jersey layered bottom that went a few inches below the knees.

Maddie's is a simple silky cream straight-cut sleeveless dress.

I got the two dresses and looked for Kelly, who I eventually found at the counter. "Hey, Kels."

She gestured for me to hand her the dresses, and paid for them.She looks more composed now and like the ice queen she usually is. The cashier couldn't even look her in the eyes.

"How do we choose Froida's dress?"

I smiled sheepishly.

I never knew how to shop for Froi, and it wasn't usually a problem because she usually chooses her own dresses. Her style is so randomized I feel like it would have to be based on a feeling she has while she shops or while she pictures herself in the event.

I have to admit. I can't read her emotions well.

Kelly and I frowned and decided to eat snacks first. This has to be good. This is Froi's special day.

We left our purchases in the shop for safekeep and went to one of the stalls to get , and we sat on the nearby benches and ate quietly.

Maybe we should get something hopeful. Something dreamy?

"Hey, Valyra, isn't that Matt?" Kelly asked, nudging me.

Matt was with my brother, arguing.

Matt was holding the brown envelope I saw when I first spoke with Dad again.