CHAPTER 6

Cc: Toby.

VALYRA.

This Martin guy was definitely a jerk.

Rewinding a bit, my friends and I just came back from L.A. and we decided to stop by Tiddie's for a bit before going home. We were just chatting when a guy accidentally spilled coffee on me. All was good, all was well, you know? It was an accident after all. But someone just had to swoop in and "save me." Honestly, I think he had something personal going on with the other guy.

Thankfully, Alex was ready to step in before anything escalated too much because if I were to intervene? Well, you wouldn't wanna know what I'm like.

"Sorry about that," the other guy said, rubbing the back of his neck bashfully. "He gets on my nerves."

I glared at him. "Don't apologize, dumb weirdo. You didn't do anything wrong except steal that guy's girl."

"I really didn't, though, and I don't have to explain myself to you, but just so it's clear, the girl's a close friend of mine. She isn't like what that prick's painting her out to be. She went to me because she trusted me, not cuz she was making trouble or whatever."

Maddie and I exchanged amused glances and I nodded at him. "Don't worry, people like him tend to try putting others down anyway, so you don't have to say more. But thanks"

Guys like that quickly get my respect. It wasn't because he was polite about the whole thing or the bigger person when he was publicly confronted, but because he defended his friend despite her not being there.

"Good-bye!"

We dropped off Kelly and Maddie at Maddie's and went straight to my house.

"Get the popcorn, Ryan!" I called out from my room. In these things, sweats were perfect because when I get crumbs all over them, it's okay.

Alex got the movies and set up the living room.

Okay, maybe you're thinking that there's something questionable about me being alone with two guys without my brother around, but remember that I trust these guys with my whole being, okay? They're my bros for life.

Not a word.

Anyways... So we watched the whole Hunger Games series and ended up talking about Ryan's soon-to-come military leave.

"Are you ready?"

Ryan smirked and scoffed. "Are you kidding? I've been waiting for this day for ages!"

It's true, though. He has been waiting for a while now, and maybe we're just a little too worried, but we couldn't help it.

Ryan could take care of himself, but no one really knows what situation they'll be in anyway.

What if?

"Don't you think you'll miss your parents?" Alex asked, munching on a slice of cold pizza he found in the fridge. "I would."

"You'd miss my parents?"

"No, idiot, you know what I mean."

"I think it's a good thing," Ryan admitted, looking seriously at the floor. "I think... I mean, of course, I mean this for people like me, you know? Kids like me. I think sometimes we take parents for granted that we need space away from them to remember what they've done to help us grow into who we are."

Alex nodded his head, agreeing. "I get you."

"I don't," I joked dryly.

Ryan pinched my cheek and smiled so wide. "You're parents might be mafia leaders, V. That's why they're so busy."