ON THE OTHER SIDE

Mom was freaking me out. I didn't know what was making her act this way, but the past few days she barely speaks to me and just visits my room to ask about my day quickly.

Mom... this is the first time in years we aren't even eating together at lunch...

I really hope she's okay...

I quickly got off my bed and grabbed a silk dress with a leather corset and slipped on my knee-high boots.

"Good morning, Sweetie!" Lillian, my personal maid, greeted me. She's older-- about mid-twenties, and has taken the role of an older sister ever since I came here.  She will never take my sister's place though.

Mom took me away from my sister to let me adjust to her world. I couldn't lash out and say it was selfish-- mom had her duties to her home. If I didn't comply, I would not only be affecting myself, but the future generations as well.

Sometimes I miss my sister and my brother, but when I think about what life they're having right now, I feel much better. Dad's rich-rich, although I don't think either of them care about it. But the point is, if they need anything, Dad's just there. Mom sends them letters, too, but I don't think they receive them because we haven't gotten replies.

I greeted Lillian and grabbed some bread from the kitchen. I'm supposed to stay at home today, but as usual, I'm going to town. My cousin Allain will be waiting for me. It's Alla-in by the way, but like, slide the two together.

"Hey, kid," he waved, tossing me a cold apple.

I bit into the apple immediately. "I'm just three years younger than you."

"I know," he grinned smugly, " just wanted to test it out on someone. It's all Analyse calls me and it's starting to bother me."

It's said as Ana-lees-- not Ana-lize, by the way.

"Why don't you just call her that back?" I asked, honestly curious. I know it's what I would've done. Analyse is a pain to be with. Just because she's above us. I have no idea how Allain managed to put up with her for seventeen years.

The hovership was in a nearby clearing in the woods. Allain was a great mechanic. This hovership model belonged to Aunt Ava about twenty something years ago which means it's a ninth generation hovership. Allain managed to give it enough updates to be sufficiently at par with the current twentieth generation ones.

"Come on," Allain called out from the entryway, "We're gonna be late!"

I got to be assistant captain today, which only meant I was on standby to wake Allain up if he accidentally falls asleep. He must've stayed up all night studying again.

See, people of our status... don't go to school. Whatever we learn depends on us and our family and whoever is there and has a say. Safe to say, Allain and I are pretty smart, but when it comes to normal mainland social interaction, we might be a little rusty.

"Where do you wanna go first?" my cousin asks.

"Bakery."

He steers into a space below the parking lot and we get out of the ship. He guides the ship to a parking space above us and turns it off, letting the solar energy keep it aloft and in place.

"A strawberry cheesecake crepe please," I ordered, "and a cup of coffee." I also order a plate of waffles drizzled in maple syrup with a cup of green tea for Allain.

"That's twenty avenues," the waitress informs me, quickly processing our order and preparing our tray. Now that I think about it, did my sister work as a part-time waitress or something in the mainland? I don't think I can. I'm too airheaded with strangers. It didn't help that my hair was reddish and that my eyes are a brilliant green-- people think of me as some doll or pretty face.