CHAPTER 26

Cc: Round One

VALYRA.

The first tournament is coming up, and though we were able to train well for the past weeks, I was uncertain if we would do well today.

The boys were working hard, and I knew how talented and skilled they were. The other team was also very talented, but that's okay.

I'm not worried that they would lose. I'm just worried they'd feel pressure because it wasn't a home tournament or because this would be a very meaningful starting tournament.

The girls and I were wondering how we could help the boys, too.

Round one.

I can't believe I'm here right now, on the sidelines of our court, cheering for the boys. Now that I think about it, this whole thing is almost petty, the only reason why I said almost being that it was because of their terrible morals and sportsmanship. I'm not perfect, but I don't like that. Not doing this is like letting them continue to practice their cunning tricks on the courts and fields and pools, and sending off a message that it's okay to do wrong to win.

"I'm scared," Kat muttered beside me, looking like she was tired of the scene.

I placed a hand on her shoulder to comfort her and her slight trembling lessened.

Madden and Olympus were on the other side, sending us dirty looks. I gave them a big grin and turned away. I'm not gonna allow myself to get triggered by them. I'm here to compete not to engage in petty acts of showdowns and glare battles.

Kelly texted me earlier to focus and not let them get to me, and as cold as that might sound to some, to me, it was a huge source of comfort. Kelly knew me well, and I also know that she's genuinely rooting for me.

Claire already gave me and Oliver her encouragement yesterday. She said that we were definitely gonna beat them, and that even if we didn't... we still did.

Yeah.

That's Claire for you. I was glad, of course, and thanked her a little smugly, even though I wasn't smug at all on the inside.

The other girls were in high spirits today so that's a good thing.

"Hey!"  Maze and Kol pointed out.

Kat gave them a chin-up in greeting, while I gave a downwards nod. "What's up?" I asked.

"Food?" Maze offered kindly. Kol held up two plastic bags of what smelled like doughnuts and bottles.

"FOOD?"

Oww... too loud, man...

Annie noticed my cringe and so profusely apologized that I couldn't help but laugh. 

"It's okay!" I assured her, and proceeded to help her distribute the food.

Walter came by with a huge sports bag and unzipped it to reveal two stacks of jackets. He quietly distributed them to each one of us and we excitedly took them out of their respective plastics to check them out.

Jessa's smile was huge when she saw the logo, and I smiled with pride. She and Ylleria did such a great job.

Ylleria volunteered and she told us sometime recently that Jessa had told her she'd be willing to help out. Ylleria's really good at sketching and details, but sometimes she gets insecure when it's time to set things in stone and when it comes to coloring beyond solids and shadows. I found it weird that that would be a problem, but who am I to decide on what she would prefer help on? I can't even color solids.

Besides, I think it's nice that Ylleria accepts help to give a product she could be confident in. If I were her, I wouldn't have accepted help because of my pride.

That's where she was planning for Jessa to come in. Jessa would be in charge of enhancing everything and incorporating the blends and colors.

"Wow, Jessa, Ylleria!" Hestia gushed. "This is great!"

"Look at how awesome this is!" Marquessa exclaimed.

Annie and Jaymie pulled them in an appreciative embrace, and Hestia and Marquessa joined in until they were all squeezed together into a tiny crowd. 

"You both did well."

Ylleria, who's used to being complemented for her creativity, was smiling in gratefulness and a bit of bashfulness at all the praise. Jessa on the other hand, just when I thought her smile couldn't get anywhere wider, it did, and her eyes became teary as well, and she began to sob. "WAHHH, Kat!!! Huhuhu..."

Pfft. 

But my thought of amusement quickly got overturned by a little bit of my anger.

I wonder if my baby sister would be like her, cute and nice and precious. Maybe if she were, I'd find it in myself to hate her a little less.

Annoying brat.

"Hey, Val," Jaymie asked worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"What if she doesn't like the logo?" Jessa mumbled worriedly. 

"Nah," Ylleria assured her with a grin. "Val loves it for sure."

I do. She's not wrong.

I gave them a small smile. "It's nothing. I just remembered something I didn't want to. I'm proud of you two." Turning to the boys, I thanked them as well for bringing us the snacks and the jackets and told them to go get ready for their game now.

Okay, this is it.

Deep breaths, in... out... 

Okay, I got this. We got this.

"Come on girls. Let's go to the corridor."

We went in a single file to pair up with the boys. Since we were uneven, with six boys and six of us girls, I was nominated to be in front as a leader and starter. We stuck to one side first, though, since the game isn't starting soon yet.

A number of people passed by in front of us and I saw a number of families and friends talking amongst each other excitedly. Not something I've ever experienced with my family. My parents have always been MIA, Nat's with my mom, and Nik's busy. My friends, though, we've always been at each other's school events. Even if any of us had simultaneous events, the rest of the group would split so those in either event would have equal support.

"Hey." Oliver, who stood beside me, gave me a little nudge. "You okay there?"

I nodded slightly, but it was obvious I wasn't okay. I felt myself pale. You know, the feeling you get when you're having the kind of fever where you feel cold and weak, and you just want to sleep it off or eat something warm and homey.

I'm sure I can still do well anyway.