SOMEDAY

"Valyra, take this!"

Mom and I are closer now, after I decided to move into this hometown of hers. Such a messed up place, but I felt closer to my family than ever. I think she knew how I felt when I lost it that day, that I just wanted to feel like I had a family.

She spoke to me later that night and told me that she knew the tolls of everything on me, although she wouldn't really know I feel because she was more of in the shoes of Vanilla, and that she was acquainted with everyone even before finding out about the rules that caused all these family issues.

She explained that it was going to be okay now because they were finally able to make a major, official change to this separation policy. She asked me to go home with her to get to know our people and our culture, and maybe get into doing something.

Here I am, apparently a high rank, training to be in the reserve.

I grabbed the stick our troupe leader threw at me. 

Valyra. In the army, the only existing ranks are of the army, otherwise, everyone is equal regardless of anything.

Vanilla and I are okay, as are Nat and I, but my guilt about how I acted so selfishly was deep-set in my heart, and every once in a while, I would end up thinking about these things and the past where I could've been a better person

We found out that Nic was acting strange because he found out about everything before we did and was extremely hurt. He's currently not in contact with any of us and focusing again on his studies in UCLA.

I'm honestly worried about him, and hurt that he was taking it out on me as well, but he needs space, and I won't hold  it against him.

Anyway, obviously, our troupe leader or Captain, as my colleagues called her, didn't throw me a normal stick nor was it a twig. It was more of a... what's it called? I'll search it up later.

This wasn't too hard, but because I wasn't much of a physical person when arguing with others, I found it hard when it was time to spar. I was constantly scolded, and it felt like tens of Kathillas were watching me like hawks.

I was pampered here--like a princess. My clothes were lavish and high-quality. My time was set to my liking, except for training, and my interests were entertained. My focus was much better, too. You know those random thoughts I have about smells and substances. Yeah, I haven't had any of those since I got here.

But...

I decided to decline Harvard and take up a chemistry course here. Mom wasn't keen on it and told me to return and just come back during break, but I have this fear that if I leave, I wouldn't be able to come back and spend time with them because I would immerse myself and become too busy again. She let me do what I wanted to.

Before I came here, we did have Froida's party, and she looked amazing in that dress Kelly and I chose. I felt so proud. The rest of us looked amazing as well, and for the first time in a while, I felt like I wanted to do so much more for these girls who have become my sisters. I hoped I could, but I was leaving. I couldn't even bring myself to drop the bomb.

I'd asked Alex if I could go over the day before, and I ate with the family.

"Are you really going, Vali?" Lottie asked. She's such a baby, I wanted to squeeze her cheeks.

I gave her a smile. "I am."

"Your smile looks fake," Max pointed out casually. Mrs. Prince swatted his arm. As smart as he was, he just really chooses to do what he wants to. My smile got even faker from his statement.

"Bug off, Max," Pippa quipped. "Stupid," she muttered.

"What was that?" Max threatened. Being so close in age, the two sometimes act like twins who can't stand each other--the kind of siblings you expect to see together everywhere squabbling, yet standing up for each other. 

"Children, don't."

They exchanged miffed reactions and focused on their food. Mrs. Prince had cooked my favorite foods--pork adobo, steamed rice, fried chicken, celery sticks with bacon,  radish cake, and buttered crab--even the desert was chocolate mousse with a thick layer of whipped cream on top. She served iced chocolate with chocolate syrup and, well, whipped cream, for drinks too.

"Thank you for this," I said to the Princes shyly. They always do so much for me, and this send-off was unnecessary and extremely heart-warming after a period of sadness for me. I was waiting for Nic to at least call or text, but he didn't even say anything to me, so this comforted me a lot.

Mr. Prince nodded at me. "Are you sure about this? I've always thought you wanted to go to Harvard and become a renowned chemist or pharmacist."

"Yeah," Pippa joined in. "I was gonna follow in your footsteps, you know."

I laughed and shook my head. "I'm still gonna be one. Just... maybe not at Harvard first. You'll wait for me right?" I smiled at them. I wanted to return the favors they've unknowingly given me by spoiling them and helping them in any way I can once I become successful, so I have to be successful.

"Of course," Lottie chirped happily, smiling widely at me adorably.

I knew why they loved me of course. I was a decent person who has become Alex's long-time friend. They see Kelly the same way, but were a little more formal with her especially since she doesn't stop by as often.

"Promise me you'll send letters?" Lottie pleaded, as they sent me off.

"Promise." I hugged her tightly, and hugged Pippa and Mr. and Mrs. Prince. 

I exchanged a fist bump with Max where we squished our knuckles together and twisted. "Don't forget us when you're famous, okay?" he said with a little smirk, but he sounded like he meant it, and I could tell he believed in me--that I would reach my dreams just as I said.

"You know, Max," I told him truthfully, "You've got potential to become famous, so you're the one who shouldn't be forgetting anybody. Don't try to hide the fact that you've been going to castings because I'd already recognized you a number of times."

He shushed me quickly, looked at his family who didn't seem to hear anything, and put a finger to his mouth. "That's a secret!"

"Doesn't seem like it, but okay," I appeased him, ruffling his hair.

After a final round of goodbyes, Alex took me home and waited with me for Nat and Allain to come get me.

"Do you think you'll really come back?" he wondered. "Or do you think you'll end up staying there?"

"I'll come back," I declared surely.

I'm going to become a better person. I'm going to continue modeling. I'm going to pursue cheerleading. I'm going to be a successful chemist and pharmacist. I'm going to meet with my friends again, with all of us complete. I'm going to give back to the people I took for granted, but for now, I'm going to foster ties with people I haven't gotten the good chance to and learn.

I'll pray to God and trust Him earnestly for guidance and wisdom, and work hard for that day that I'm coming back.

Not now, and not in the near future.

Someday.

And I'll make sure that someday will be a very good day.