CHAPTER 29

Cc: Championship

VALYRA.

The boys won, but I couldn't bring myself to be so happy yet when it was our turn to compete right after. The air suddenly felt chilly, and I felt the urge to throw up. I knew I was nervous, but it was an unfamiliar reaction for me when all I've ever been was confident.

We lined up at the side of the corridor outside and waited.

"Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen!" the announcer began. "As we all know, this event has been impacting more than  just sports and the children, but also the schools they represent. Before we come to close tonight, we would like to have our cheer competition hype up the court one last time this summer.

"The ladies must be excited to showcase their skills as well, so without further ado, let's welcome them in here. First up, we have the Nymphs!"

"That's cool and all," Hestia joked, "but I think they're lacking one nymph."

We smiled at her joke. She was obviously trying to relieve the tension in us.

When it was our turn to go out, the cheers were surprisingly not as loud as I was accustomed to. I looked around and just noticed that most of the stadium is actually consisting of the crowd of the opposing team. 

It's okay. We don't need a crowd to want to do our best.

We skipped and sashayed into the court, smiling wide and waving our pompoms in the air.

The other group went first, and they were eyeing us condescendingly. The crowd on the other side erupted with boos when we entered. I didn't need boos to feel intimidated, but I definitely wasn't intimidated by what they could do, but by my fear that I won't be able to go back to normal in time. I memorize all my stunts and moves, but I lacked my usual zest and my expressions that were so natural wouldn't come out. My moves were so robotic because I went stiff and it caused my center of gravity to shift. Although I could stay up there, my teammates were visibly having a hard time keeping me up as compared to our practices before my slump.

"You okay?" Kat asked. These days I found that she was a patient teammate. I thought she was haughty and a mean girl who was entitled and bossy whose only positive point was her extreme affinity to excellence for everything she does, even just when standing there.

It turned out that she was, yes, a little mean, but ultimately a good person. Maybe she has some backstory that she just hasn't revealed to the world. 

I nodded my head. "I have to be."

Ylleria hugged me at the side and gave me a squeeze of encouragement. Thanks, Ylleria.

The Nymphs were extremely heavy on energetic jumps and jaw-dropping flips and powerful marches. Their expressions were fierce with a mix of taunting and smug, but it fit their overall concept well, given that the songs they chose were like hyping-- kind of an attack and defense sort of thing, like they were dependable and strong-willed warriors of an alliance. People might dig that since it amplifies their impact a lot. Ours was more cheerful and more of an entertainment, our songs chosen to showcase our emotions and what we can do. I wonder if people would find it lame.

We all chose songs we wanted to put in and finalized with one song from each member to be mixed in. 

When it was our turn, I stumbled a little bit at our entrance. Jess moved a bit more dynamically to avert attention from me, and I sent her a quick, grateful smile.

We all cartwheeled into the center and started our routine.

At the climax of the song was where I had to get up there on top of our pyramid and spin and tumble. It was where I messed up these days, focusing on getting my balance right when I already had it right.

Hestia and Ylleria, who were at the second layer, lifted me by my arms and tossed me up, while Annie who was right under me pushed me up. I closed my eyes in fear.

"Go!"

Dad tossed me up in the air and I felt like I was flying. I wasn't afraid of hitting the ground because I was too busy reaching for the sky.

Nik was there watching me with a huge smile. Like he was content watching me fly.

Years later, it wasn't my dad tossing me around but my peers, and they were watching me not just with happiness and excitement, but with fear and trust and admiration. They knew I could do this, and I let them believe because their faith in me made me believe in myself even more too.

I can do this. That's what I thought every time. I can.

But what happens when I suddenly couldn't? Am I just suddenly done for?

I should've learned sooner that I could depend on others and I should think of others too. That's what I realized when I did my jump.

And I smiled and jumped with all that I could.

And once again, I felt like flying.

And my smile was on the whole time until we received our trophies and were declared the overall winners, and even as we rode back to our school and said goodbye to each other.

My smile went uncertain though, when I got home.

My dad brought home files and we checked everything together, and it all pointed to my sister being...

Vanilla.

We figured it out pretty easily, and I felt miserable. It was she. I truly had hoped not.

"NO, NOT HER!" I shouted in shock and denial.

And we heard the doorknob, and Mom appeared at the doorway with Vanilla and Nat and Allain.

Her eyes were tired from everything that had transpired, and mine were hard with both hatred and from holding back tears.

If there is a way, Lord, that I could take back everything I've said, I will do it... please...

The guilt... was eating me up.

I can't even look at her.