CHAPTER 1

Cc: Homecoming. Weird timing, bro.

VALYRA.

"Hey, Vali," Nik, my older brother, greeted me as he jogged down the stairs with a half-thrown-on hoodie. He made a beeline towards the fridge and dropped a kiss on my forehead on his way.

"Ewww," I groaned, pulling a face. He was nineteen, turning twenty this August, and soon will be in his junior year in college. This summer, he decided to be a "nice brother" and spend his free time with me before I embark on my journey in Harvard.

He blatantly ignored my protesting and grabbed something to eat.

"So," he began, as he chewed on an apple. "What're you up to today?"

"None of your business, Nik."

He smirked at me. "That's no way to treat your brother who came all the way from L.A. just to see you."

I glared at him, annoyed, as I took my phone off the counter. "Adios, Idiot. I didn't ask for you to come here."

I jogged out of the house and got into my pearl-white Range Rover. The girls and the guys decided to have some time together in the nearby diner called Toby's Diner. We all just called it Tiddies or TD though. It was watched over by some guy named Toby Coleman. None of us knew what he looked like, much less who he was. Apparently, he was some hotshot swimmer but was said to dote on this diner during his free time instead of partying or whatever. I'm glad he did because this diner holds some of the most significant memories of our lives.

"Hey," I called out, as I pulled to a smooth stop right outside Maddie's cozy two-story home. Maddie was sitting on her porch steps, writing on her journal.

She was the classic girl-next-door-- sweet, kind, and loveable. Everyone admires and respects her. Unlike me, she attracts boys who genuinely like her and not just her body or status. Today, she was wearing a black lacy bralette and dark acid washed Daisy Dukes that made her tanned skin look even more flawless. She also had on a pair of black strappy sandals. Her sunglasses were perched on her head like a headband and her trusty black Chanel bag was strapped across her body.

Maddison Elyana Windsor was the kind of girl I would love to be in the shoes of. Beautiful, loving family, awesome talents, protective older brothers and one adoring younger sister, sweet personality-- I feel like she had it all, you know?

It's funny because she tells me she'd love to be me a lot.

She quickly stood up, jogged over, and flashed me a brilliant smile. "Heya, girl!" It was by default that she slips in the shotgun seat every time we go out, and that's exactly what she did. "How's your summer so far?"

"The usual, hanging out with you guys," I shrugged, but then I remembered that I haven't updated her since she came back from England where she visited her mother. "Well, alsooo..."

She looked up from her journal and gave me an impatient look. "Also what?"

I grinned at her sheepishly and set my eyes back on the road. "Nik's over for summer." And.... here it comes.

"WHAAAAAAAAAAT?" she screeched, her hands flying to her cheeks, making her pen and journal fall off her lap. Trust me when I tell you that it was the most beautiful screech you'll ever hear in your entire life. That's just how perfect my best friend is.

Maddie may have her share of male attention, but the only guy she's ever had feelings for was my brother. Although she claims that she feels nothing for him any more, I have a feeling that she was just trying to see if she could move on from him. After all, for a loner/snob-vibes kind of guy, my brother's actually capable of being quite the charmer.