Chapter 18

"Alright, here's your first paycheck!" My manager handed it to me.

"Awesome…" I stood amazed, finally I didn't have to wait on my monthly budget with my mom and dad's savings.

"You know what you should do?" She told me as I opened it. "Go take Kotori-chan somewhere!" 

I didn't really want to tell her that the two of us weren't on speaking terms as of right now.

"Sorry I'm already taking someone out." I bowed, "In fact she's someone that I care about a ton."

"So you mean you already have a girlfriend?"

"No, it's hard to explain." I said, "See you." 

I walked back to my dorm. "Yo, I'm taking you to my favorite ramen place, let's go." I told Misaki.

"Are you treating me?" She asked.

"Yes, now hurry up…" I sighed.

I had been wanting to take my dorm mom out, even if it was for dinner or something. She had been by my side through it all and she was someone special in my life.

A parent… some might even say.

"Are you ready to confess your feelings to me?" She teased as we sat down at a table.

"You shouldn't be saying that too loud, I'm a minor you know." I replied right back.

We ordered and got settled. "So what's the real reason you wanted to eat dinner together?" She asked taking a sip of beer.

"Are you sure you should be drinking right now?"

"You're paying so I'm treating myself," she grinned, "Is it Kotori, are you going to ask me for advice?" She asked excitedly.

"No, I wanted to say-"

"Is that Kotori?" She pointed.

"Where?" I asked with a little too much panic in my voice.

"Gotcha." She winked.

"Shut up, I wanted to say thank you!" I complained.

She paused, took another swig of beer and just stared at me for a moment. "Thank you for what?" She said finally.

"This… this is embarrassing to say, but you're the closest thing I've ever gotten to a parent. And to be honest, you're probably the only person out there who makes me feel loved." I admitted.

"Listen Takashi…" she smiled, "The reason why I make you feel loved is because well, I do love you. I didn't feel like I needed to tell you this, but you do realize I'm your legal guardian now right?"

"Eh?"

"Yup, I'd say around five years ago it became official, and I've been showing up to parent-teacher conferences too." 

"Thank you." Tears filled my eyes. "M-m-mom."

She slid over to the booth and hugged me, "Mom just sounds too weird, but I'll let you call me that if you want."

"But you want to know who else loves you?" She asked.

"Who?"

"Kotori-chan!" She said with a little bit of surprise in her voice.

"Stop teasing me, I don't even like her."

"No really it's Kotori-chan!"

I looked up, indeed the second years were sitting at a table just ordering.

"Go over and say hi." Misaki pushed me.

"N-n-no!" I said. "That's actually stupid, it makes more sense if they come to me."