Chapter 6

"Bella." His voice is soft, and up close, he's just as beautiful as I remember.

"Edward." It comes out like a whisper, as if speaking too loud will wake me up from this dream.

I finally look at him, and I don't care that years of heartbreak, anger and sadness break through. It would only be a matter of time until he saw through it, anyway.

He could always read me like a book.

"You..." He stops, and I can tell he's frustrated. He waits a second and starts over.

"How are...things?"

I'm a mess.

"Good." It comes out soft, so I clear my throat. "Good. Staying busy. You?"

I don't mention my studio, the prints that I wish I could show of the times with him that I hold so dear. My best work always happened when he was around.

When it all went to shit, I tried to burn every single picture of him I had. I threw my camera off a cliff, and considered going with it.

The months that follow are busy. We barely spend time together.

The drift that pulls us apart happens to sneak up on me so suddenly.

I remember a time when I couldn't wait to hear about his day, the patients he helped and the people he met. I'd sit on the sofa with a smile on my face no matter how tired I was.

I don't know when that changed.

The close of the front door does little to excite me anymore. I don't move, and he'll probably think I'm asleep. The clock next to me blinks 3:25 AM.

I wait for him to come into the room, I hear him get undressed, go to the bathroom

I hear him sigh when he pulls back the covers, and gets into bed facing away from me.

Things are so different that I don't know who he is anymore.

"It won't always be like this." He says, but I don't know if he's talking to me or himself.

He falls asleep and I lie awake until he leaves again.