Chapter 3

"It's okay." I say, because with each day the last two years, it has been a little bit easier since he left.

"Isabella Swan!"

Our quiet corner is disrupted by Emmett, but it was only a matter of time.

I roll my eyes at him as he lifts me up with a hug. We saw each other two days ago.

"Put your sister down!" Rose laughs, with a hand on her swollen belly.

"Yes, wife." He sits next to Rose and gives her a kiss on the cheek, making a face at me. I shake my head at him, raising my middle finger at him.

He just laughs at me.

"I can't believe Ben and Angela finally tied the knot." Rose says, like no one here knows how long they've been together.

They met in second grade, and Angela said that was the day she knew he was the one for her. They've always been perfect.

Ben is how Edward and I met.

"I mean, yeah it took forever but we knew it would happen." I say, shrugging my shoulders and looking at my phone. I wait for a response but the only thing I hear is Rose take a deep breath.

"Is she kicking you..."

Edward is a lot closer than he was a few minutes ago, because he stands next to our table.

"So I was thinking..." He says slowly, combing his fingers through my hair.

His chin is resting on my head and his other hand is drawing soft circles on my arm. He's been quiet today, not his usual self.

"I don't pay you to think, just to look pretty and be boring." I say, causing him to tickle me.

"Dad mentioned going to Spain for a while. He has a friend there that could use some extra help at his hospital. The experience would look great on my resume."

Not the words I thought I'd hear.

My heart drops and I sit up so fast I think I have whiplash.

"You're leaving me?" It comes out as a whisper, and I sound as weak as I feel.

"Bella, come with me."