023.

kenma's eyes scanned the side of road looking for y/n, his orbs occasionally flickering towards the dashboard to check what the temperature was outside.

he gripped the steering wheel slightly harder. "goddammit, where is she?"

then he saw her just sitting on a bench with her arms wrapped around her body. he frowned a bit at the sight. poor girl. he thought, but if he was to say that to her face she'd go on and on about how strong and independent she was, and she is. kenma added in his head.

he pulled out in front of her and beeped the horn a few times. y/n looked up at the car and walked towards it.

before she opened the door, kenma adjusted the temperature and turned on the seat warmers.

"i thought you weren't going to come." she mumbled.

"yeah, yeah. there's a jacket in the back." kenma rolled his eyes.

-

awkward silence. both of them couldn't stand it but neither decided to break it. it was almost pitch dark outside and some snowflakes had started to fall, causing y/n to smile.

"first snow."

"what was that?" kenma asked.

"it's the first snow." y/n repeated, but this time she turned to face kenma.

"oh yeah, i guess it is." he returned the look.

"by the way, do you know anyone who's about this tall, short black hair, wears red lipstick, dark eyes, pale skin?"

kenma froze and the speed of the car slightly slowed down. "what?"

"i don't know if i should pry.. but i'm just curious because kuroo left in a hurry." y/n turned back to the window.

kenma didn't respond but just pulled out his phone and looked for the contact name 'kuroooo <3'. of course, kenma would never block his number. he loved the elder way too much for that and the more he thought, it would be kind of stupid for them to ruin their long-life friendship over a petty fuck session.

"kuroo."

"kenma?"

"do you know how late it is?"

kuroo paused for a second. "8:27, why?"

"whatever, who are you with right now?"

he paused again, "hear me out.. emiko's back in town and she wanted to see me, okay? don't get mad."

kenma wrinkled his face in disgust, not because he didn't like the girl, but because he could imagine what they were doing this whole time as he experienced it throughout high school when they just so happened to be his roommates.

"i'm not mad, but i'm just a little confused on why you would leave y/n out in the cold?"

"oh my god." kuroo paused. "y/n! i completely forgot. can you tell her i'm sorry? like super sorry!"

kenma laughed. "hmm, i don't knowww. should i tell her you ditched her because you got the shits?" he laughed again.

"you wouldn't!"

"well we'll find out! goodbye old man!"

"kenm-"

kenma didn't realize, but he ended the call with a smile on his face. a bright smile.

he turned his attention to y/n. "still cold?"

"not as much." she shrugged. kenma reached one hand back and grabbed the jacket and handed it to her.

"i didn't go to nekoma, silly goose." y/n stared at him.

"no shit, ugly." kenma rolled his eyes. "now put it on."

"you know mr. grumpy, if you keep rolling your eyes back there, they might get stuck." she said, pulling her arms through the sleeves of the jacket.

"seems like you need to take your own advice then."

"not cool. not cool at all man." she paused. "but i do have good advice, don't i?"

"sure you do."

it was silent again.

"on a serious note, can i tell you something?" kenma asked, his hands intertwining with hers.

"mm, sure."

"i'm sorry for not thinking before i speak because every time things seem to be going good for us, i always say some shit that's out of pocket." he exhaled, "and i end up losing you, who just so happens to be someone very important in my life."

she didn't say anything.

when kenma looked over at her, he noticed how glossy her eyes were. there's no way she was crying because of that.

"you know, you're sweet when you want to be." she chuckled after wiping her eyes.

and in that moment y/n finally realized how she felt for kenma. strong feelings. she couldn't exactly explain what it was, but kenma was an important person to her too, and she never wanted to lose him either.