Chapter 26 - Grow up

"How is she?" Christine looks to Stephen who was keeping an eye on you. He hadn't left your side since surgery two days ago, still in his robes with dried blood and soot still along his skin.

"Still stable," he rubbed his thumb over your hand, eyeing the wound which was lined with a new healing technique Banner said Cho had created. He was hesitant at first but allowed it after seeing results from previous tests.

"Come on, you need to get out these clothes," she tugs his robes with a small hopeful smile. "At least a coffee,"

He took a deep breath before standing. "Yeah..." he let go of your hand and followed her.

~~~

Deep poundings against your head with the sore overall feeling, you took a few moments to realize where you were. The hospital. You always hated them; at least being a patient in them. Summoning enough strength into each muscle, you lift a limb one by one as best you could to see what abilities you had left. Legs were fine, torso a little sore, right arm fine, left not so much, neck just fine but face sore.

Moving your right hand to your left shoulder you felt a weird silicon substances over it, wrapped within a bandage. Swinging your legs over the bed, you tried to balance with low curses at the sting felt on your shoulder. Looking through the clear side of the tinted window, you could see Stephen and Christine talking over a cup of coffee; what they were saying you couldn't hear a smidge of.

"So, this entire time, huh?" She laughs, sipping at her drink.

"I know," he patters his fingers against the cardboard holder. "I just really hope she's fine,"

"Are you two dating?" Christine winks as Stephen rolls his eyes.

"No, why does everyone think that??" He glances around in annoyance. "We're strictly friends,"

"Strictly?" She let hope tug on her face when he nods. "Good,"

"Good?" He raises a brow.

"I mean, it would be a little awkward on my end if you were," she looks down into her drink before back up to him. "You should get yourself cleaned up," Christine mutters, rubbing away some dried blood on his cheek making the sorcerer more aware of their lack of distance.

There was a tense silence between the two until she hesitantly leaned up and captured his lips, pressing them softly like her hold. A witness to this all, you kept your breathing as steady as possible, finishing changing into the clothes Anna must have dropped off.

Switching the machines off, you remove each patch and toss the hospital gown to the side. Your ruined suit was in a plastic bag just by your bed, so with that in your hand, you swung the door open. "If you're going to kiss try and find a private spot," keeping your eyes on the wall across, the next gaze was set on the exit.

Strange pulls away immediately, "Y/n,"

"I mean I'm not shaming but I'd rather not wake up to that," finding your phone in the bag, you ring up Anna.

"Y/n, wait! You can't just leave!" Christine runs after you while you hide the screaming pain within; from the injuries or kiss, who knew?

"I can and will," you move past nurses, patients and doctors only to bump right into the last one you wanted to see.

"Get back into your room," Strange had stopped you by exiting from a portal which led back to the room.

"You can't tell me what to do," shoving him away, you see the exit just down the hall.

"Y/n, would you stop being childish and think like an adult for once??" Stephen calls out in a rising anger.

"Me? I'm being childish??" You look to the ceiling, giving the tears just a few more moments to reduce; trying to call Anna again. "Are you hearing yourself right now?" Stammering out these words you could see his eyes narrow. "I don't know if you noticed but I never was childish, you're just pissed off that someone stands up for themselves instead of listening to your bullshit!"

He used a spell to push you into an empty room where the door was slammed behind him. "My bullshit??" He watches you turn away hurriedly. "You act like a whining brat 24/7 who just happens to have powers, grow up!"

"I DID GROW UP!" You scream, spinning to face him, the room silent as every heavy breath was heard. "I had to grow up the moment I could comprehend the simple fact that I was alone... I was naive and alone- and I was only 7 years old... I did what I needed to survive until I was taken in, but by that time I didn't have chance for a childhood! To be myself!"

He tried to calm you at this point, seeing the washing emotions run down your face as the severe shake of your body with ever recounted memory caused his face to fall.

"You prance around saying your life was ruined when what you have now is still better than anything I have ever had," streams poured over the edges with every crack in your voice.  "So don't tell me to grow up when out of us both you need to do it most,"

"I didn't-"

"Mean it? I think that excuse has bypassed its use by date, try to think of a better one," phone finally picked up. "Anna... pick me up," opening the door up, you shove past Christine who's eyes were filled with worry.

"Y/n-" he tried to chase after but you raised a finger to stop him, talking into the phone before exiting. "Y/n!"

~~~

Oh well

Oh well... :D

- Anna ❤️