Chapter 22 - Thinking

Skin warm, bodies close, breathing steady and eyes closed, dreamless sleep lasted all the way until the next morning. Flooding light from the cracks in the curtain and seeping from the hall was the first sign of daylight. Next was the small chirps from birds flying outside and settling in their nest situated right above the window between the second floor panes and the old stone carved ledge.

With your head in the crook of his neck and his hands placed on your waist to keep you near, it was no surprise that your legs had tangled. Soon all coming to an end as Stephen starts to wake up, his eyes fluttering open and feeling your soft breath against his neck. It took a moment to take into account the position he was in; one he was not completely against.

"Y/n,"

"Mm... shut up... five more minutes, please," you whine tiredly.

"Y/n, you're late for work," no response. "The world is ending," still nothing. "Wong stole your chocolate," he couldn't help but snicker when your eyes snap open. "I'm joking,"

"I will punch you,"

"In this state you'd give me a light slap at most," he yawns, feeling his forehead. "Can you take my temperature?"

"Give me a moment," you murmur, falling back asleep as he gives an irritated side glance and walks to the desk, taking his own temperature.

"Well, look at that, Wong cured me,"

"I'm not even offended," you curl back under the covers. "Thanks for... cuddles,"

"Technically I asked, but what are friends for," he shrugs as you raise your fist, he fist pumps it as you make an explosion sound.

"Besties,"

Well, that wasn't the reaction Strange was looking for but rather the confirmation he needed. Just friends- sorry, he meant 'besties'. "Come on, get up,"

"Make me," you roll away.

"Up," he says sternly, pulling you by the waist and off the bed. "Don't you dare-" Strange felt you go limp which brought him down with you. "I hate you,"

"I hate me too," you chuckle, crawling back onto his bed.

"Guess I'm having breakfast without you... and the last of your cereal,"

"OVER MY DEAD BODY!" You stumble out of his bed and run down the hall as he slapped his forehead.

"Idiot,"

~~~

A month after all that happened with Strange both in the haunted house and whilst he was sick. You couldn't really think about much else. Fixating on every little nice thing he did for you even though he had said you were friends. Were you genuinely crushing on the sorcerer supreme?

Even without realizing?

Friends was what he said. Friends is what you agreed. Enemies no more and somehow you missed the stop mark for friendship miles back.

He would hold the door open for you. Help you with dinner—once, to the best to his ability. Twice volunteering to help clean the sanctum with you. Three times tucking you into bed when you spent late nights working in the library. Four times holding your hand when you felt anxious about practically anything. Finally, five times he had wrapped his arm around you when you both watched a movie or TV show.

Romantic, horror, action, comedy. He was always close and always wanting to be by your side. Just as friends though.

Just as friends...

At a meeting currently with all the Avengers, Stephen, Anna, Hill, Fury and you, a run-down and plan was forming for the approach towards the Hydra base. Even after two calls out of your name, your mind was wandering off.