Chapter 29: Alisha Quill

Somewhere remote and lonely, Ladura Mountains
--Time Unknown--

-~•~-

I stared wistfully at the outside world. How I longed to run among the snow out there like a normal child!

I just sighed, in and then out. I needed to breathe again, I was "getting out of control".

I wish this didn't happen to me. I wish I wasn't this unlucky! I wished so many things. I wish I wasn't alone! I wish that I had someone to talk to, but of course, it had to be me, I was just that unlucky.

Suddenly an ominous and distorted voice behind me whispering into my ear, "you're not unlucky... you aren't alone..."

I turned around, but saw nothing. "Who are you? Where are you? What do you mean?" I asked into the emptiness of my room.

"I'm not going to tell you my name yet, not until I know I can trust you. And I'm right next to you, little girl." The voice spoke to me again.

I looked right next to me, but still saw nothing. "Are you invisible or something?" I asked, slightly confused at this new and mysterious voice. "Also, whoever you are, I'm not a little girl."

"I cannot reveal my true form until I know I can trust you. Also, to me, you are a little girl. You're a little child who doesn't know who she is yet. You're like the little bear cub I heard about not minutes before my arrival at your... humble abode, shall I say?" The voice explained.

"Why is a 'little bear cub' important?" I questioned whatever or whoever was speaking to me.

The voice didn't answer my question, and went on talking about my so-called 'humble abode'. "Lets face it, you want to get out of here. It smells like rubbish."

"You didn't answer my question!" I retorted angrily.

"Hm... you're a ferocious hothead, that'll come in handy in the future," the voice began, and then went on to answer my question, "fine, I'll answer your dumb question. The little bear cub is someone that we will need to... how do I put it nicely? Get rid of in the future, if that makes any sense... Her destiny, like a handful of others, is to stop both of us from getting what we want in the future."

"By getting rid of... do you mean-" I started to ask, but once I was interrupted with a small "yes" from the voice, my face instantly went pale. "Who are you?" I asked again, this time scared for both my sanity and my life.

"Mmm... I thought I told you. No great name exchange until I know I can trust you." The voice responded, and now I started to really freak out.

I nodded slowly, not even understanding the current circumstance was in. Oh dear, if only I knew what that voice was at the time.

"Do you want to go outside," the voice asked, "hunting with your father?"

I knew the answer to that question, but I didn't want to tell the voice. "I won't tell you," I answered the voice, "at least not until I know I can trust you."

The voice gave out a quick laugh before replying, "fine. If you tell me the answer to my question I'll tell you the answer to your question."

I nodded slowly as if the voice could see me and then answered it's question. I chose to trust this strange voice that I could hear. "Yeah, I do want to go outside. But apparently there's something about a 'Phoenix', so I just sit here all day and look out my small window. It's just not fair." I explained, starting to get emotional.

"Phoenix, you say?" The voice asked me, and I just nodded in response. "Well what if I told you that I know this 'Phoenix' of yours. I know you want freedom, and this Phoenix isn't the thing that took that right away from you, it was your parent's fear."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want to know more about the Phoenix?"

"You didn't answer my questions."

The voice went on anyways about the Phoenix, this thing that apparently didn't take away my freedom, "I know the Phoenix very well. I'm... very close to it, or at least that is the best way to put my relationship to it. This Phoenix just wants for you to be free, to fly away from your parents who locked you in this house in the first place, it's like you're in a large bird cage. The Phoenix can help you escape and spread your wings."

I had suddenly forgotten my questions. At the word "free" my heart lifted, and I slowly started to put one and two together.

The voice continued talking as I slowly figured out who was talking to me, "you just want to fly free, little bird. I can show you the outside world. It's fairly pretty, you know. Just let me inside your head, and I can help you do whatever you want to do."

"But I thought you were already in my head? How are you speaking to me then?"

"No, I'm right next to you little birdie. I'm not speaking inside your head, you just can't see me." The voice explained. "So... what do you say? If you want I can show you where this Phoenix is."

I breathed in and then out, and then nodded. "Show me where the Phoenix is hiding. It's about time I see more than just these boring wooden doors and my old, dirty bed."

"Alright, destroy the wall." The voice said, saying it as if it was the most simple thing in the world to do.

(956 words)