Chapter 23: Almaroz

On the cliff of  a mountain next to the ocean, Ladura
--Time Unknown--

-~•~-

Almaroz walked over to a chest in the corner, and opened it up to find some of the potion ingredients he would need, but not all of them. Luckily he did have a jar of around three patibugs that were all dead (let's just say he had an unpleasant encounter once when he found one trying to crawl into his hairbrush one morning), the hide of an ox, angel's blood (the storm-seekers once gave him this as a reward for all of his service, don't ask him where they got this, he had no clue), basil leaves, and many glass bottles of fresh water. He could also go and take some empty bottles to the ocean outside to get salt water for the Flask of Giant's Strength's base.

He would have to adventure and get griffin feathers, which would be hard because griffin hunting was an illegal activity due to how endangered the species was. Griffins were commonly found near, so he'd probably journey there to get the feathers.

A horse heart was commonly found in Ayimath, so that was another place he marked out on his map. Almaroz bet he could battle a horse, the only problem was skinning it and going through the horse's body parts to find the horse heart. Ayimath was off the coast of the larger island Bevornan, which was where the caves with the most glowshrooms grew. Glowshrooms were simply what they were called; glowing mushrooms. They grew in dark and moist caverns, so it wouldn't be that easy to find. Who knew? Maybe glowshrooms didn't grow during the summer, Almaroz for sure wasn't a plant expert.

No one truly knew where to get his next ingredient, dragon blood, as dragons were kind of just everywhere. The place with the most recent dragon sighting would be Vercandar Mountains, which was a place near Ladura Mountains, but basically it was at most on the same continent.

The direwolves and their bones would be easy to find, as they roamed the Ladura Mountain area. Obviously, they were more rare than normal wolves, so it would still be a bit of a challenge to find one and kill it.

The next ingredient Almaroz needed was fairymoss. Fairymoss was most commonly found in Tuvroya and Eulai, and it was found on ancient, enchanted trees that can give some people magical powers. Personally, Almaroz hadn't gotten his powers from the trees, but had gotten his powers from birth. Some people were just born special and magical, he guessed.

Yet another ingredient he would have to collect was lavender, which was pretty easy to find. He heard they had an incredible lavender field that was worth seeing before one died in Iucan, which was the island off the coast of Fembeora, which was where he would probably go to get the juniper berries, which was the last ingredient on his list.

Overall, he was prepared.

He walked away from his notes and the chest and then walked towards a small ancient stone pillar which on it rested a shiny, silver sword. It seemed to glow in the sunlight, and it truly fit its name, Dawnbreaker.

Almaroz drew forth the sword and raised it in the air, watching it sparkle from the sun, and brought it back down again. It looked truly magnificent, and he smiled a little smile. He was going to slay a Phoenix with this.

Almaroz then grabbed a belt and wrapped it around his current clothing, and he put the sword into a sheath that rested on the brown leather belt before walking over to a corner and grabbing a cauldron, starting to drag it over towards the center of his small stone house. He didn't have the type of magic that could drag things forward and bring it to him, but he had magic that was useful only in combat, so he couldn't easily make the cauldron fly across the room to him. He grunted as he set it down and sighed. He was ready to adventure and he had been for many years.

He quickly but swiftly went outside with a bunch of empty buckets and bottles and successfully collected the salt water from outside from the ocean. After he was done with that, he heaved the buckets up to the cauldron in his house, and carried the buckets slowly but surely to make sure he didn't drop them to the same location, pouring in all the salt water he could.

Next, he brought out a map, and marked each place where he was going to go. He decided he was going to go in order of going in a circle based around the square map he had, which means he would start at Ladura Mountains to get the powdered direwolf bones, then go to Tuvroya to get the fairymoss, then go to Ezora to get the griffin feathers, next to Vercandar Mountains to get the dragon blood, then Bevornan to get glowshrooms, Ayimath to get the horse heart, Iucan to get lavender, then lastly Fembeora to get the juniper berries.

So then Almaroz picked up the notes, the map, and a few other necessities for the adventure, including actual armor and a shield, not to mention a steel dagger which wasn't as well made as Dawnbreaker, but it was decent enough to cut through a horse, which would be needed for this particular quest.

Almaroz looked one last time at the beach and the peaceful waves... screw peace, he had enough of that. It was time for adventure, it was time to journey and fight and slaughter. It was time to save the world.

Almaroz opened up the door and then walked outside, letting it fall behind him back into place. He bid his home a farewell, and then set off to fulfill his one and only true destiny.

(991 words)