Chapter 26: Maralyn Waters

Porthold City, Porthold
September 5, 1003

-~•~-

It was September fifth now, and Queen Waters sat on her throne. She would've been with Maralyn by this hour, helping her out with whatever she needed, but since the door was locked, she assumed Maralyn needed alone time (ever since Maralyn explained that some rogue citizens had cut off her hair one day when she went to check on a nearby bakery, Queen Waters assumed that her daughter was just simply devastated), which was alright, and it was something the Queen was fine with.

She had decided then to solve all the problems the citizens of Porthold had. Her subjects would come to her each day. Sometimes they would ask for a speech at an important person's death, normally the dead person being some general or common soldier that had fought in the war long ago.

Suddenly, she saw a female pirate scumbag be escorted into her throne room. Why would a pirate girl come to the Queen?

"My Queen," the pirate said, kneeling.

"So you come to me, pirate brat? Why do you come here? What do you need from me?" The Queen asked, slightly intrigued.

"My name is Brynne. I work for Captain Skylar and her quartermaster, Jill. Coming here is betraying her. I may most likely be tortured or killed if she finds out about this simple betrayal. But this matter is important, it's something you must know," the pirate, Brynne, answered.

"And what is so important, Miss Brynne sea-lover?" The Queen asked, mostly teasing the poor pirate girl.

Brynne answered her question, "it's about your daughter, and a boy named Alexander S. Collins..."

-~•~-

It was September fifth (though the Summer weather seemed to stay as Porthold hardly ever had snow), and today I hung onto a large wooden pole, waiting for Captain Skylar to return from her travels.

Speak of the devil, and she shall come. I suddenly saw the Captain's boat docking, and a large wooden platform coming down, which Captain Skylar soon was walking on top of, and looked around, searching for me. 

Before she found me, she seemed to find someone else, and then she hurriedly yelled at the pirates onboard, "find Alexander! The Queen's guards are here!"

At those words, I frantically searched too until I saw a group of heavily armored soldiers walking up to me, large swords in their big hands.

"Oh, sink me..." I groaned. This was not what I wanted, and definitely not what I expected to be dealing with today.

The guards easily found me and stood right in front of the pole I was clinging onto. "Princess Maralyn," one of the guards started, "we have come to escort you back to the castle to your mother, the Queen." They talked as if I didn't know my mother was the Queen. Oh, the fools! I absolutely loathe them.

Captain Skylar and Jill had finally spotted me, along with the other pirates. I hadn't memorized their names yet, but I was working on it. I sent them a special hand signal that no one else would notice. I clung onto the pole with one hand and with the other I waved it about before curling my fingers into a fist, then pulling back my hand to lay it to rest back on the pole.

The Captain said something to Jill, and they ran quickly back onto the boat to complete their part of the plan we had agreed on once my mother found out about me heading off to roam the docks among pirates.

"Alas, lads and lassies, buckos, merchants, and hearties, I am not Alexander S. Collins, and I am definitely not a poor orphan boy thief," I started slowly, thinking of what words I wanted to say next carefully.

"My real name is Maralyn Rosanna Waters." I said straight-forward. Surprised murmurs flew up around the docks as I continued my small speech. "Yes, I am a princess. Yes, Alexander S. Collins is a fake identity I just made up. But yes, I am now a pirate. And all of you landlubbers can go and continue being stupid, accepting the rule of my mother, a tyrant."

I climbed down the pole and I was at the real edge of the docks. Xeric, Namala. Please tell me you two kept up your part of the deal...

"So happy trails everyone. Right now, it feels like it's just me and the sea..." I stated, then saluted the peoples of Porthold. Then I started letting myself fall backwards, and I fell straight into the water. I thought it would be warm, but it was cold... so unbelievably cold...

The water enveloped me, and I could hear screams above. But yet again, it was just me and the sea.

(799 words)