Chapter 5: Maralyn Waters

Porthold City, Porthold
August 18, 1003

-~•~-

Familiar brown eyes pierced into my soul. His bald head was different than what would normally scare people, but this? This scared me.

I now felt that thrill of fear, not the type you feel at the end of a play or at the end of a good book. This was when one would feel the thoughts of anxiety.

The cold blade of a knife was pressed up against my throat and Legless Pete stared me straight in the eyes and asked, "where are you going, Princess?"

"Get your dirty hands off me!" I screamed back at him, my eyes mainly focused on the knife, pushing my hands deep into his round belly, trying to get him off and away, but it didn't work. After a couple of minutes of struggle, he pressed the knife closer to my throat, and I gulped and gave up and stared at him hardly. "What do you want?" I asked, scared for my dear life.

"Have you ever heard of The Spreaders? Of a great prophecy?" Legless Pete asked, his gaze not straying away from my face for one split second and his knife not leaving it's place.

"What! No?" I said back, trying to sink away from the knife. Well, I did know what The Spreaders were but I never understood their religion or whatever they did.

"Seriously? Well, The Spreaders are a group of people that remembers, that notice the unnoticeable. They were the people who still had remains of memories of the storm-seekers. They re-discovered them, and now they follow their lead. Now, they are looking for nine random people across the world." Legless Pete explained, yet I was still confused.

"How does one notice the unnoticeable? What are the storm-seekers? Why are they looking for nine people? What does this have to do with me?" I blurted out every question I could think of, eyes darting between my attacker and the knife.

"Aye, you come in-" Legless Pete began, but he would never finish, I would never know the end to that sentence, for then a figure suddenly came into the edge of my vision, punching Legless Pete off of me.

"What the-" Legless Pete began to say, until he saw the figure. "Oh, it's you. Of course it's you. The only pirate that still has some sort of loyalty to the Queen," he grumbled.

Without the weight of a knife pressed against me, I managed to shove myself up and to stare at the drama unfolding in front of me. The only pirate that still has some loyalty to the Queen? What does he mean of that? Are most of the pirates not loyal to my mother anymore?

I directed my gaze at the new person, who stood long and tall, brave and proud. She had long dark brown hair blowing in the small breeze there was behind her in this dark alleyway, and she wrapped her hands around the edges of her waist. On her waist sat a belt, connected to it a few small pouches of both useful and useless trinkets. She wore a light brown waistcoat over a stained and wet creamy white shirt. She wore baggy dark brown trousers and she gazed menacingly at this plump, insane man. She crouched down, and held a dagger in front of her towards Legless Pete, her mouth pointed downwards into a large frown as I saw her clenching her teeth strongly against each other. I couldn't see her eyes, for it was covered with a classic dark brown adventurer's hat, but I could imagine that they burned with more anger than humanly possible.

"Keep away from her." The woman said as I stared at her with much admiration.

"No can do, sweetie. She's too important for me not to notice as a pirate. First of all, she's a princess. Second of all, soon to most likely be part of a great prophecy once Almaroz dies, soon to be part of the war of the Phoenix." Legless Pete smirked while saying this.