Chapter 16: Almaroz

On the cliff of  a mountain next to the ocean, Ladura
--Time Unknown--

-~•~-

Almaroz shook his head, trying to stop the tears from coming to his eyes. "We're talking too much about me. What about this prophecy and the nine heroes?"

"Well The Spreaders then separated into nine groups, following orders from Markus, who was following orders from the leader," Siena continued.

"When you say 'The Leader', I'm guessing that you're talking about her?" Almaroz asked, pointing to the leader of the storm-seekers who was sitting frighteningly still at the table.

Siena nodded, "yes, of course, but stop interrupting me, will ya?"

She sighed before starting to list the groups of Spreaders. "One group was sent to Ezora, and that group decided that they wanted someone who would always find themselves in trouble but can find a way to get out of it. They did choose someone, and she's pretty decent, just has a rough past. She's not fit for battle though, she'll break the moment she sees the Phoenix. We nicknamed her 'The Aeronaut',"Siena explained.

"The second group went out to find someone in Iucan. They eventually decided upon a twisted person. I haven't heard much about him, I absolutely despise his work. As far as I know he's a murderer. As far as I know we'll only have to tamper with his life slightly, only have to force a few tasks upon young and old Storm-seekers. We nicknamed him 'The Hitman'.

"The third group went to Ayimath. That boy they chose is certainly a handful. Let's just say the group who chose him are constantly busy. Most of the tasks given out to the storm-seekers nowadays are about this poor guy. We nicknamed him 'The Survivor'," Siena went on.

"This is quite the list. But what did the boy in Ayimath survive?" Almaroz asked. As far as he knew, there was no sickness there or anything.

Siena gave him a look that told him all he needed to know. She wouldn't reveal any more information about each group.

Siena still went on with her listing, "the fourth group went to Blavrios. That guy there that they chose is absolutely  despicable. He should be in jail and stay in jail. I've only visited that group once. We nicknamed him 'The City Guard'.

"The fifth group went to Eulai. They found a good gal there, who is kind hearted and nice. She's pretty good with her voice, quite a singer indeed even if she doesn't like to sing aloud to anyone else that much. We nicknamed her 'The Whistler'.

"The sixth group went to Slecia. There they found a decently young-looking boy who knows how to fight. If you ask me, my bets are on him surviving. We nicknamed him 'The Monk'."

"My Gods, how long is this dumb list?" Almaroz asked, starting to get annoyed.

"Just exactly three more," Siena said, giving off a small chuckle at Almaroz's impatience. "You've never learnt to control it. You never had good patience and you never will."

Almaroz just shrugged and listened in about the last three groups.

"The seventh group went to Ises. There they were kind of just annoyed by how many smart people there were, I'd say that they just randomly chose based on how selfish the chosen one is. We nicknamed her 'The Researcher'.

"The eighth group went to Porthold. This is where this task comes in. There they found a pretty good person. She's one of my personal favorites. Sure we need to make someone lose a war in order for her future to be exactly as we expected, but she's pretty cool. We nicknamed her 'The Pirate'.

"Finally, the last group, the ninth group which includes Markus, sits and waits and sends out orders to the other groups. They don't do that much to help out with the prophecy. I guess they protect the main camp of The Spreaders," Siena finished.

"I didn't know The Spreaders had a main camp or something," Almaroz whispered, shocked.

"There's many things we don't know." Siena replied.

Markus turned over to them from the table and yelled, "aye! What're ya doin' over there? Come back to the table and eat with us like civilized human beings!"

Almaroz gave Siena a look that made her give a small snort. "I'd rather sit in a poop pile and eat rather than eat with that pig," he whispered.

"I don't want to eat with him either, but it must be done," Siena giggled.

They walked calmly back to the table, and sat gracefully back down into their stone chairs.

-~•~-

The waves were so beautiful. Almaroz had forgotten his memory by now, and let all of his thoughts and worries clear as he stood staring at the ocean and the night sky, trying best to avert his eyes from the bird corpse still laying on the beach.

So he stood there. He stood there and watched the waves alone as they crashed up against land. He stared at the night sky alone, with its twinkling stars.

So Almaroz sat back down again and just stared at the world outside his window for a long while.

He would watch the sunset again tomorrow, alone.

(876 words)