Chapter 28: Abigale Newton

Firefly forest, Tuvroya
March 17, 1002

-~•~-

My dad started singing to a tune I had heard not so frequently as it was a depressing song, but I smiled as I heard it.

"She said she had drowned in her sorrow-
In the lake near the trees...
She drowned in her sorrow-
Because I had to say goodbye..."

My dad sang softly, making me feel like I was in some sort of witch's trance. Not that I knew what that felt like, but I could assume that the way my father sang this song and a witch's trance felt quite similar based on stories and books.

"I had to say goodbye, my dear, my dear, my dear... I had to say goodbye."

I tightened my grip around the carcass of the dead squirrel. Why did I feel bad for hunting? It was just a small squirrel, not much was taken from the world of the living. Why did I feel guilty?

"She said she had died from her problems-
Drowned in the lake as far as I can see...
She died after the monster of depression knocked on her door-
Because I had to say goodbye...
I had to say goodbye, my darling, I had to say goodbye..."

We entered the field where I usually practiced my archery with my father, and I grinned, remembering all the moments I had spent training in this very spot to achieve the dream of mine to be like my father.

"She said she had drowned in her sorrow-
In the lake near the trees...
She drowned in her sorrow-
Because I had to say goodbye..."

I didn't notice the hungry and angry yellow eyes staring at my father and I from the edge of the forest nearby.

"Because I had to say goodbye..."

I clapped once he had finished, as he was such a good singer, and he was talented with his voice. Sometimes it saddened me that he hadn't put it to use, but I guess he just also liked to hunt. Hunt and sing. Hey, he had gotten to do both. It was like a win-win situation, I supposed.

"Did you like the song, little bear cub?" He asked, smiling goofily.

I smiled goofily back at him, and answered, "I loved it."

"Would you like to hear another one?" He asked, delighted by my liking of the song.

"Of course!" I answered.

"That song was called 'Drowned in Sorrow', this song was one that I haven't told anyone about, no one else but me knows. I made it up myself!" He explained.

"You haven't sung it to anyone yet? Not even mom?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"Not even mom," he responded.

"Then I shall be delighted to hear it!" I concluded our conversation to let him begin the song.

My father opened up his mouth, and that's when I saw the yellow eyes that had stood on the edge of the forest a minute before... the yellow eyes of a bear even greater than the one my father was carrying away for dinner tonight. The bear was stalking my father, and was right behind him.

"Dad!" I screeched, lifting my hands in the air.

"Everything alright little bear cub?" He asked, slightly confused.

"B-behind you..." I eventually gathered the courage to say.

My father carelessly turned around, smiling, and then his smile quickly turned into a frown before the bear lunged forward and bit his head, his teeth sinking into my father's neck. I then watched as my father's head was torn away from my father's body, and blood followed in long streams like banners flying high in the wind, or like the red scarves the scarf-dancers used on faraway islands.

The bear hadn't seemed to notice me yet, as my father's head dropped right in front of me, and the rest of the corpse went flying and landed, creating a large splatter and pool of blood, which the bear was immediately attracted to, and started bounding over to feast upon his dinner.

If this bear wasn't the actual king bear, I didn't know what was.

That's when I realized that the story had in some way come true.

-~•~-

In the end, a great monster came along, and killed his father brutally.

-~•~-

My father had killed and hunted the king bear's father. He was the great monster in the story.

-~•~-

On his way as he pounded like the great bear he was over to the place the others were supposed to meet him at, he came across a great, large monster that was strangely familiar. The monster was feasting upon a corpse of an innocent kid, and as he started to attack it, he realized why this monster was familiar. It was the thing that killed his father, murdered him in cold blood. Because of that, the bear couldn't make him go easily. He sunk his teeth into the monster's neck as it screeched, and tore away the flesh from the neck. He feasted upon its corpse that night as the monster had feasted upon the innocent little child.

-~•~-

It was my father, my father was the monster. That didn't help me feel terrible about his death more at all. "Not at all," I told myself as I ran away from the scene, hardly knowing what was going at me. "Not at all," I told myself again, still in a great amount of shock, and walking away from the bear tearing apart my dad, his intestines flying loose, the bear eating my dad's face off. "Not at all," I lied.

Once I had told myself that I didn't feel sad about his death enough times, I found it harder to let the tears keep on pouring, and I looked up and realized that I was back at our cabin. The sky hadn't even turned dark yet.

I walked in front of the door, and raised my hand to knock, but stopped for a second. What would I say? I eventually decided against making a whole grand speech, and I entered in.

I immediately heard my mom's voice. "Little bear cub!" She called.

No... mom, don't use that name. That's reserved only for father.

My mother walked up, and smiled as she looked down at my hands. "You caught a squirrel!" She proudly announced.

I looked down at my hand too, and saw the carcass of the dead squirrel yet again, laying lifeless in my hand. I must've carried it with me the whole way, I forgot about the darn squirrel.

"Your father must be so proud of you! Speaking of your father, I guess he's away doing more hunting to fetch me some good bear meat, knowing him."

I felt my stomach turn upside down. He got you bear meat, and I brought you a meager squirrel. He died for your pleasure, mother. Oh, little do you know mother, little do you know...

My mother reached her hand forward and ordered, "gimme the squirrel, I can cook up a good lunch with that. All for you, only for you. A treat for your first successful hunt!"

I held on tightly to the squirrel before realizing that my hands were squeezing the blood out of it, and I was just torturing the corpse.

My mother obviously realized something was up. Both of us remembered father saying, "a good hunter doesn't abuse their prey after it's already been killed. It just makes it not suitable for cooking, and it just looks ugly. Hunters normally only do that when they're really, really mad or upset about something."

"Are you alright?" My mother asked, curios and slightly scared.

The tears flowed freely again. "Father was killed, killed by the king bear."

Her face changed and she started muttering something incomprehensible to me. When she raised her voice, I was able to hear, and I was thankful for her voice raising... otherwise I wouldn't have known...

"The king bear isn't real, he will never be and never was," my mom explained, "your loving father made up that tale one day after going hunting, it was all just a lie. You believe things too easily."

My stomach churned as I heard my mother's crazy words. But at the end of the day, there was only one sentence that kept beating around my head, the king bear isn't real, he will never be and never was. My life was simply a lie.

(1408 words)