Chapter 7: Alisha Quill

Somewhere remote and lonely, Ladura Mountains
--Time Unknown--

-~•~-

It was surprising all you could see in a day just from one window with a great view. It was surprising how strangely interesting and calming it was to just stare out into the abyss. But this abyss was a place that I knew I could never explore. I wasn't allowed outside, apparently I was too dangerous. So I just busied myself with staring out the window every day every, every week, every month, every year.

Every day, to calm myself down, I wrote a journal page about what I saw that day out the window, what I smelled, what I thought things would feel like. "Soon," they said, "soon we'll let you outside." Yet they lied, I hadn't gotten fresh air since I was a little babe put on my foster parent's doorstep.

    I sighed, I had to keep in my anger, I always snapped at the smallest thing. My parents called it "signs of the Phoenix". What the Phoenix was, I didn't know. All I knew was that this Phoenix was dangerous, and that because of this Phoenix, I was dangerous and I was not allowed to go outside. For that reason, I hated the Phoenix, I hated whatever or whoever this was with all my heart. Because of them, my freedom was unrightfully stolen from me.

    Breathe in, breathe out. I was on the verge of snapping again.

    What did I see outside? Oh, right! The window, I had forgotten! My only source of joy, how could I have forgotten of such a thing? There were mountains, mountains, and more mountains in the distance. Ah yes, so much had changed since I was last here, staring out the window. So much...

    I felt so caged again, as if I had wings but I wasn't allowed to fly, a voice but I wasn't allowed to speak. It was a scary feeling at first, but later you just get used to it, but you just want freedom and the feeling of safety. Why did I have to be caged in this dump? I thought about the Phoenix again. Did the Phoenix hate me? What had I ever done to this Phoenix? I balled my fists up in anger as I stared outside the window still, watching a great brown eagle fly outside.

    Breathe in, breathe out. Don't feel angry, being angry leads to snapping, and if I "snap", then I become dangerous, and as my foster parents put it, closer to losing my mind. How I would lose my mind if I snapped was something I also didn't know, like everything else in the world, I didn't have a clue what it meant.

    I directed my eyes away from the window so I could stare upon myself. I had ginger hair that looked like fire in the sunlight streaming from the outside world of my window. I couldn't see it, obviously, but I knew I had amber eyes that were like my own window that I had in front of me, but not a window to an outside world, no, it was a window to my soul. My foster parents could easily read my emotions just by looking at my eyes. I expressed my feelings easily, as they put it.

    I wore some rags and a casual black belt, I had never thought of my looks in a serious way, possibly because the only people I had ever met were my foster mom and dad. I had probably seen my real mom and my real dad when I was born, but I had forgotten their names, personalities, and their looks. I had forgotten everything that had separated them from any other normal human being. Or maybe they weren't human? I wasn't certain, I knew nothing about the matter of what my old life was supposed to be.

My age was another thing that was left unknown or uncertain, but I liked to think I was around the age eighteen, since I wanted to be young when I first went outside, not old, not the age of forty or something. My foster parents told me that I was definitely older than fifteen, but younger than twenty-five. Because no one knew the exact number, I could be as old or as young as I wanted to be. So, I declare myself the age of eighteen!

Better yet, my birthday (that I had gotten to choose the exact date of, since no one truly knew precisely when it was) was tonight, so I would get cake, unless my father forgot to get me some, which was possible. As far as I knew, it required walking down to the little town of Ladura just at the bottom of the mountain I lived on and then back up, so it was hard labour, a tedious task too, so I wouldn't be so surprised if he didn't go. Then again, my foster parents always tried to make me feel welcome and at home (which of course I felt at home if I've been staying in the same five or so rooms for the past ten to twenty years, based on however old I was), so they might've gotten me a pie or cake. If it was a pie, it must be blueberry pie. If it was a cake, it must be made from one of the best bakeries that my foster parents had ever ordered from with a name I could never remember. Those were the only few requirements for the food at my small little birthday party since I had never known anything else. I imagined a fresh blueberry pie as something grand, something only royals like princesses, princes, Lords, Ladies, Kings, and Queens would eat. This is what happens to someone when they have to eat pea soup and porridge everyday.

I looked out the window again. The mountains I had described earlier with their fancy snow-capped peaks were off in the distance. The side of the house which my room was in wasn't facing the town of Ladura, but facing enormous woods to the left, and clear sky and a cliff on the right. The woods which had a name I didn't know was where my foster father disappeared each day. He would go hunting and then return bearing food, meat from animals in the forest and berries from countless berry bushes he came across. That's where I wanted to go, that's what I wanted to do. But of course, the Gods said otherwise.

The woods looked deep, dark, and mysterious. I hadn't a clue what monstrosities lurked in there, but one day I promised myself I'd find out.

Suddenly, a bush rustled in the forest, and I directed my eyes onto it. Was this one of the "monstrosities"?

Once the moving of the bush had stopped, I saw a single pale feather close slowly towards me and my window, using the breeze. I reached out and gasped as my hand reached through the outside world, the sunlight hitting my fingers as they pierced through the whispering breeze until my fingers grabbed the feather that was making an escape from wherever it came from.

I quickly dragged my hand back in, and brought the pale feather in front of my eyes. I stared at it for a long while, inspecting it to the point I was almost about to find out which monstrosity it came from, when it suddenly burst into ashes and flames.

I screeched and drew my hand back, where had the flames come from? Had it come from the creature, someone else, or me? I think I already knew the answer to that question, since it fit in with every other one of my questions, but I shook the thought away and told myself; "someone else. Someone else has this abnormal power, not me." For a second, I imagined what it would be like if someone else had these powers, if someone else was destined to destroy the world.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Hey folks! I hope you liked this chapter. This is basically the first half to the Alisha Quill chapter. Yep, this is the girl who is destined to destroy the world.

Sorry this chapter was really late, I just don't think I can update every book I have once every single day now, and possibly every other day. Also, I've recently gotten my vaccine and final exams are coming up in school, so that's more reasons to slow down.

Anyways, I hope that y'all have a beautiful day, and I'll see you in the next chapter, byeeeeee!

(1441 words)