Chapter 1: Maralyn Waters

Porthold City, Porthold
August 18, 1003

-~•~-

After a tough night, I was glad my mother had allowed me to go down and see the docks, something I was never allowed to do. She said my skirts would get dirty and the pirates wouldn't treat me as well as they needed to.

I was in my room, waiting for my servant to come and help me get ready for the big day ahead.

I was in a nightgown, white silk falling down just below my waist, my dark brown hair which could almost pass as black in water, fell down near to where my night gown ended. Mother always told me about how long she bet my hair could strangely grow. I didn't really care or know how it got that long. I had blue eyes that twinkled in the night, and a thin nose and lips — I was what one would call "perfect". I was skinny, and I looked quite pretty in a dress, or at least when someone could get me into one. I didn't like dresses, but everyday was forced to wear one.

I looked pretty, but did not eat pretty, dress pretty, walk pretty. I didn't have any good manners, as my mother put it. But today, my bad manners would be used quite well, for I'd get along well with the pirates down at the docks, both of us having similar likings. I may never get to go down to the docks again, and since this may be my only chance to go down and see the ocean of Porthold up close, I needed to look quite pretty.

Maybe if I was lucky, once my mother would lay on her deathbed and I had a husband who let me do what I want to do, I could go out on the sea, fulfilling my dream.

My bed behind me was velvet blankets and white pillows. Beautiful violet silk was draped over the top of my fortress-like bed.

There were many other weird pieces of furniture I had, including a silver-lined mirror hanging on the wall and a few tables of random things.

The room was dark, and made purely of stone and cobble. My dresser and wardrobe were made of driftwood and there was a little mosaic on my floor showing the map of the world, places I've never been. I've heard tales and stories from the butlers and the cooks about each place, but there was always one that had caught my eye, Ladura Mountains.

Whenever these mountains were brought up, people would stutter, and no one could remember a thing. Any pirates that had gone there stayed there for months, and when they came back they had changed, for better or for worse I didn't know, but they were different from thereon out. If I could ever become a pirate (which was a longshot because I had to be the next queen, for I was the princess of Porthold) I know where I would go.

I slipped on a teal blue dress, that hung low and right above my small feet, which I put baby blue slippers on. I walked out of my room and sent for one of my servants, Namala, who was a water nymph, who could breathe above and below water.

"Namala!" I called, watching with satisfaction as said water nymph could be seen dashing up the stairs to my room. "My hair is a mess and I mustn't look bad when going out today," I explained as Namala finally got to me and nodded.

Namala had beautiful skin, normal like a human's, yet with a tinge of blue in them. Her hair was in a dark blue bun, and she wore beautiful dark blue lipstick. She looked like a genie, or some forgotten wizard.

Namala was elegant and thin, for she was rarely fed a good amount of food. It was on nights where there would be feasts to get everyone drunk except for the youths that she got to eat enough to make her go plump for a few days. Yet she held no rights, only the rights that allowed her to breathe. She had to strictly follow what my mother told her to do, since otherwise she would be beaten like most of the others. Luckily she hadn't been beaten much, but there was a scar from her cheek to her forehead at the side of her face from a whip that hit unluckily close to her eye.