Chapter 8: Alisha Quill

Somewhere remote and lonely, Ladura Mountains
--Time Unknown--

-~•~-

When a knock came upon the door a while later, I knew it was my adoptive dad. I heard the creak of the front door opening again, and my foster mother loudly greeting him, and loudly talking about how good this turkey he had caught looked.

I decided to walk out of my room now, and the moment I took a step outside my door, my foster parents grew quiet. Ah, I hated to do this, intrude whenever they're talking happily and then bring them back to the bad thoughts of my destiny.

My foster mother quickly took away the raw turkey, her husband deciding to follow her, and then I was left alone again.

I acted quickly upon being alone, and started grabbing wooden bowls for the beet soup we normally had a specific day each week, in hopes that that day was today. I set down four, in hopes that someone else was coming for dinner, in hopes that I wouldn't be alone again with just my foster parents and the silence reigning over the dinner table. I set out wooden cutlery (that was all we could afford) to the right and to the left of each bowl, setting it upon a napkin. I put down a silver plate for the desert, a slice of blueberry pie, and I rested a large gold platter for the turkey in the middle of the table.

When I was done, I sat in my chair, and waited for my foster parents to come back out of the kitchen. Once they did, they saw my work and congratulated it after exchanging greetings with me.

As we sat down, I brought my little wooden knife into the turkey in front of me, and sliced two servings of it. One for me, one for the invisible and imaginary friend. My foster mother came around and poured just enough beet soup to satisfy both me and my foster father. I looked sadly at the empty seat, and my foster mother understood what I wanted, and so she poured a bit into that bowl. It was a weird tradition I did each dinner, but everyone was fine with it, so I decided that I'd continue to constantly do it. I was addicted to that feeling of wanting a friend, and not to be all alone my entire life.

As I sat down, everyone was quiet, and then my foster mother and father prayed, and thanked the Gods for the food they had today, and then they picked up their forks, and the feast began.

An eerie silence rested over the table as we devoured our turkey, dinner was the only meal we had that was complete, since every morning we only had leftovers. Once the turkey was done, the blueberry pie was served, and I quickly took the first bite before addressing the elephant in the room, "why do you keep me alive? Why not kill me off if I'm destined to go off and kill everyone?"

    My parents sighed, and in the end, my foster father talked first, "I didn't wanna keep ya alive, that was all me wife's fault."

I gulped, and turned to my foster mother, awaiting her answer.

"I couldn't allow my husband to kill such an innocent little baby. It's not you that will destroy the world, it's that darn phoenix. There's hope yet for you not to fall under its control," she said.

I was confused, I thought I was destined to be the destroyer of the world? What does she mean by "falling under its control"? I was so gosh darn confused now...

"You should go back to your room now," my foster father said.

I nodded, and made my leave. As I sat in front of my windowsill, I heard my foster parent's angry voices echo outside as they yelled over something. I caught snippets of it, words such as "storm-seekers", "Almaroz", "The Spreaders", and "order", but my door blocked out most of the sound.

I saw snow begin to fall out my window, peacefully and silently. As it fell, it started to cover the ground with a soft, white blanket as it slowly faded to night, the mountains disappearing in fog in the distance. I didn't know what day it was, but it was always cold enough in the mountains to snow every so often.

I heard more angry voices outside my door.

Breathe in, breathe out, I was on the edge of "snapping" again. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. I sighed, isn't the snow so peaceful...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Hey folks! I hope you liked this chapter. This is basically the second half to the Alisha Quill chapter, sorry about how short it is. I don't really know what to say now because not much has happened during my day so far other than obsessing over Warriors animatics LOL

Anyways, I hope that y'all have a stellar day, and I'll see you in the next chapter, byeeeeee!

(844 words)