Chapter Thirty One

Time skip
~~~

"This is such a waste," Gally says, his voice dragging with disappointment.

I am standing very close to Minho, terrified of my plan failing. One of Gally's buddies is holding Teresa's arms behind her, and Thomas is "unconscious" on the ground.

"Gally!" Winston says, grabbing Gally's attention. "This doesn't feel right, man."

When Gally doesn't answer, Jeff speaks up. "Yeah, what if Thomas is right? Maybe he can lead us home."

I was glad my friends were on our side for this one.

"We are home," Gally says, stepping closer to the two. "I don't wanna have to cross anymore names off that wall." He gestures his hand to the wall.

"You really think banishing us is gonna solve anything?" Teresa asks.

"No... this isn't a banishing... it's an offering."

"What!?" Teresa panics as Gally's buddy yanks her arms, pulling her onto the wooden pole. "Wha- Gally!? What are you doing!?"

"Minho..." I whisper, also panicking. "This isn't supposed to happen!"

"Just- just wait." He says, obviously way less panicked than I am.

"You really think imma let Thomas into that Maze after what he's done!?!?" He raises his voice so loudly it's irritating.

They started tying Teresa's hands tightly to the pole. I bite my finger nails watching her in pain.

"Look around you! Look at our Glade!" Gally says sternly. "This is the only way."

Newt turns around and nods his head, which Minho does in return.

"Shits about to go down," I whisper to Minho, nudging him.

"Thanks captain obvious," he scoffed, and I rolled my eyes.

"...when the grievers get what they came here for, everything goes back to the way it was."

"Are you listening to this? Why are you all just standing there, he's crazy!" Teresa says.

"Shut up-"

"If you stay here, the grievers are going to come back. There gonna come back and there gonna keep coming back until you're all dead!" Teresa shouts.

"Shut up! Tie him up!!" He points to Thomas. When his buddies don't listen, he shouts, "do you hear me?! Tie him up!!"

As soon as the boys try and pick up "unconscious" Thomas, he jumps up and elbows the one kid right in the stomach. After a moment of shock and grunts from the injured boy, everyone started to react quickly.

Thomas grabs the long stick that the boy he elbowed was holding and knocks him in the head with it. Newt jogs over with his weapon and knocks the other boy in the head, also knocking him to the ground. Teresa kicks the boy in front of her in the nuts, making me almost laugh out loud.

Before Gally can do anything, Minho has a long machete pressed on his shoulder. We all gather closer towards the entrance of the Maze.

I quickly run over with my knife and cut Teresa free. Then I give her a knife.

Gally shrugs. "You're full of surprises, aren't ya."

"You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving." Thomas says shakily. "Anyone else who wants to come, nows your last chance."

This is really it... I think to myself as I look around the Glade, one last time. I'm really gonna miss this place. It's the only place I've ever known as a home.

"Don't listen to him he's only trying to scare you," Gally tells the other Gladers.

"No no I, not trying to scare you, you're already scared. Alright I'm scared! But I'd rather risk my life out there than spend the rest of it in here," Thomas says pointing the long pole at them. He shakes his head. "We don't belong here. This place, isn't our home. We were put here. We were trapped here. At least out there we have a choice. We can make it outta here. I know that..."

I grip tighter onto my knife just as Winston steps forward. Now probably isn't a great time to smile, but I'm happy that one of my closest friend is coming on this journey, or whatever you'd call it.

Shortly after Jeff comes forward, followed by more and more until there is only a dozen or so of people with Gally.

"It's over," Thomas says.

It's over.

"Just come with us."

We all wait for Gally's response, and when he does respond it shocks me. "Good luck against the grievers."

We all exchange glances with each other, then follow Thomas into the Maze.

Goodbye Glade. I think sadly. Thanks for the good times. I give a small nod then limp my way to catch up with the others, because of my bad knee.

Is this really it?

I honestly will miss the Glade so much. And I wish Alby could be coming with us, he deserves it. And Zart. Ben. And George.

"Come on! This way!" Minho says as he guides us down the Corridors.