Chapter Eleven

Author's Note
Please don't be afraid to comment or vote! I would love feedback to know people are actually reading and/or enjoying this. Okay carry on :D

~~~

We just finished supper and the Greenie sat with us.

Newt and Alby were right, he seemed to have asked us all of the questions in the world. Some were like, "who put us here?" or "what are those walls for?" Others were like, "what's a shank?" Or "why are you the only girl?"
I felt kind of ashamed about not having anything else to answer except, "we don't know."
But it's the honest truth, we have no idea.

But now it is time for the bonfire. Gladers are already starting to gather around. I walk over with Chuck and we sit on a wooden bench. The boys light sticks on fire and get ready to throw it into the huge stick piled fortress thingy. Seeing the flames always makes me remember the time Winston lit Newt, Fry, and Minho's hut on fire. It makes me laugh.

Even after today the boys seem to have gotten their energy back.
They all throw their sticks into the pile and cheer with joy. Me, Chuck and the other boys all around us clap and holler.

Minho and Winston come over to sit by Chuck and I and we all talk about random things, making each other laugh, as always. Except we try to avoid talking about Ben.

I look over and see the new Greenie and Newt sitting behind a log on the other side of the fire. That's nice, I think. I am glad Green Bean is making friends.

Newt's POV

After we set the fire, me and the Greenie sit behind a log, facing the other side of the fire.

I made him try Gally's secret recipe, he just spat it on the ground!

I tell him about the grievers, and how the Maze changes.

He asks me about runners, which I point to Minho and tell him how he's the Keeper of the Runners.

"And— the girl?" He asks. Gosh, so many questions, I think.

"Teddy?" I ask.

He nods. "Are you guys like-"

"No," I say quickly, and turning around to face in front of me."She's my best friend."

He nods again. "Oh, um, okay then. What is she like?"

"Um, she's funny, she's very kind," I say thinking about her personality. "She's super smart and helpful. Oh she loves to read and play games with Chuck," I laugh at the last part.

"That's nice," the Greenie laughs.

I nod. The Glade would be so different without Teddy- well who would I know anyway? If it weren't for her I'd be dead already and wouldn't have lived to meet her. Just thinking that breaks my heart. I don't even care if we stay in the Glade our whole lives. As long as I'm with her and she's with me, then my whole life is complete. I wish I could tell her that without making myself feel awkward, even though nothing is ever awkward with her. I just wish she knew how much she means to me. Maybe she does know...

"...Newt?"

"What? Oh sorry, uh, I kinda zoned out, um a bit," I laugh nervously with the heat rising in my cheeks.

The boy just laughs, making me feel more sheepish for some reason.

"You like her... don't you," the boy says out of no where.

"...What?" I say shocked, but quietly. Of course I don't like her like that! Do I? So what if I did it doesn't matter! She deserves someone better than me.

"I can tell by the way you talk about her, and look at her," He says nudging me with his elbow.

"So what if I do? I don't— but, even if I did she won't like me back," I say.

He scoffs. "And how will you ever know that— if you never tell her how you feel," he says.

I take a moment to visualize what he said.

"Come on," I say finally, while standing up. "You're supposed to be the guest of honor! Let's go see the others."

We get and walk to the side of the fire where the Gladers are all watching Gally wrestle some poor kid out side his circle.

Fry stands next to us and hands me a drink of Gally's 'secret recipe.'

"Thanks," I say.

I finish off my drink while talking with some Gladers. I notice the newbie is missing, and I look around the bonfire and try to spot him. I looked across to see Teddy, getting out of her seat and heading towards me quickly. I notice her head facing her left side, watching something with a worried look on her face.

"Newt," she says nervously when she approaches, I worry what she'll say next. "The greenie..."

Before she can finish I look to where her eyes were at, moments ago. Almost as if on cue I hear Gladers start cheering.

"What the..." my words trail off as I find myself walking through the crowd of Gladers.

Greenie?

Bloody hell! I think.

I see the Greenie in Gally's circle, squaring off.

This is not gonna end well.