Chapter Twenty Eight

"Has he said anything?" Thomas asks concerned as we enter the hut. Clint shakes his head.

"Alby you alright?" Newt asks, crouching down beside him.

Worried glances are exchanged throughout the group.

"A-Alby we may have just found a way out of the Maze," Thomas tells him.

My eyes widen immediately at the thought of leaving the only home I've ever known.

After a moment of silence, Alby gently shakes his head and speaks up. "No.... No we can't leave..."

"... they won't let us," he says sadly.

"W-What are you talking about?" Thomas asks

Another long moment of silence passes until the next sentence.

"I remember," Alby says, tearing streaming down his cheeks.

"W-what do you remember?" Thomas says worriedly.

Alby doesn't hesitate to look at Thomas in the eye. "You," He says blandly.

Only one word spoken and it had everyone at a loss for words and shocked.

"You were always their favorite," he says. My heart starts racing and I nervously pick at my finger nails.

"...Always."

Loud chatter starts picking up from outside the hut.

"Why did you do this?" Alby asks, seemingly almost trembling. "Why did you come here?"

I trade expressions with the Frypan, Teresa, and Gally, the others were too focused on Alby to even look away.

The conversations and chatter from outside begin turning into faint shouts.

Alby grips his head with his hands and we all rush outside to see the commotion. The sun has already set and it's getting more dark.

"Hey, hey what's going on?" Thomas asks Winston, who's holding a torch.

"It's the doors, they aren't closing," and with that he's off.

We all panic and watch some Gladers run to the Corridors with torches in their hands.

I grab Chuck's hand and kneel down to his level. "Chuck, listen," I say frantically. "I want you to stay next to me at all times."

He nods, tears in his eyes.

We follow the other Gladers to the Corridors.

All of the sudden a huge mechanical noise comes out of nowhere and scares us. I pull Chuck closer to me. We hear birds cawing, and everyone turns in sync to see the commotion. Out of nowhere another corridor begins to open.

"What is going on!" I say panicked, to no one in particular.

Just then, two more corridors begin to open. My heart is practically pounding out of my chest. The palms of my hands begin to sweat, and I feel my hands shake.

Everyone stares around in disbelief. Thomas turns around to me and Chuck, not noticing how our hands are glued together.
"Hey Chuck," he says nervously but carefully, "I want you to go to the Council Hall, ok and start barricading the doors."

Chuck nods worriedly. "Mhm k."

"Winston, you go with him," Newt says, he probably saw the worry in my eyes.

"Got it, come on Chuck," Winston says. Chuck releases my hand, and I force myself not to cry. Chuck runs holding Winston's free hand, the other one holding a torch.