Chapter Twenty Four

"Hey Chuck, why don't you finish your chores?" I tell him. I know the reason Clint wants us is because of Alby, and that can't be good. I especially don't want Chuck to witness all that.

He sees the look in my eyes, so before he can argue he replies, "Okay."

Others head back to their work too, even Minho who is supposed to be in the Maze right now but is resting today, after last night. Thomas, Newt, Jeff and the girl and I are the only ones heading to the med jack hut.

As we're quickly making our way to the med jack hut, I notice the girl holding something in her hands.
"Hey, what is that?" I ask, walking next to her and Thomas.

She at me before looking down at what she holds in her hands. "Im not sure, I found it in my pocket." She examines two bottles of blue liquid.

Oh no. I think. That's what killed George!

By now my heart was racing and my hands with sweating.

After a moment of silence between us i ask, "Do you have a name?"

She looks at me and smiles. "It's Teresa. You?"

Teresa. That sounds awfully similar to my name, Tedessa.

I quickly brush of my thoughts and smile back at her. "Tedessa. Everyone calls me Teddy."

She must have made the connection between the similarity between our names because she is quiet, and looks lost in her thoughts.

We enter the med jack hut and I'm pretty sure I could have gone my whole life without seeing Alby in this condition. He lays strapped to the bed shirtless, exposing bulging blue veins and sweat drenched all over him. He mumbles random sounds while shaking, and every few seconds there's a violent shake that makes him try and grip the edge of the table.

I have to admit it makes me wanna cry seeing my friend like this, and it makes me worry about his future.

I must have been thinking for too long because when I bring myself to the conversation they're talking about injecting the blue liquid into him.

"We don't even know what this stuff is," Newt says. "We don't know who sent it, or why it came up here with you. I mean for all we know this thing could kill him." I can tell he doesn't want to give it to him, after how sad he was after George. He's got a worried and sad expression plastered onto his face.

"He's already dying," Thomas says, pointing to Alby. "Look at him. How could this possibly make it any worse?" He argues.

Newt looks down at Alby, who now has tears streaming down his cheeks and is making loud grunting noises.

"It's worth a try," Thomas says.

"We can't," I say, speaking up. I'm pretty sure I've got tears in my eyes, because my vision is slowly getting blurred.

"What? What do you mean 'you can't?'" Thomas asks.

"The last time we used that stuff it killed him! It was all my fault and I can't let that happen again!" Tears have already fallen down my cheeks and I can feel my hands shaking.

"Teddy!" Newt says loud and firmly, but with glossy eyes. "That wasn't your fault! You didn't know! How many bloody times do I gotta tell you that!?"

"Yes it was Newt!" I yell at him.

"Than forgive yourself and MOVE ON!" He yells louder.

We both stand their, shocked by his anger, with tears streaming down both our faces.

I take a deep breath and lower my voice only a little bit. "I can forgive myself, but I will always have to live with that painful feeing of guilt! You know how awful it is to walk by the spot every morning where you thought a brilliant idea would save a life, but instead ended it!? Out of all the Gladers, Alby is one of the closest one I have to a family! He's like a brother to me! I cannot watch him die right before my eyes!" Each sentence my voice raised higher. Nobody says a word in response, not even Newt.

Alby's grunting noises grow louder and louder.

"What difference will it make if we give it to him?" Thomas says quietly and speaking up after a loud silence.

"Teddy," Newt says looking at me, even though I refuse to make eye contact.

"Fine," I say interrupting him. "Just do it." I raise my arms up and grip my hair tightly.

"Alright..." Newt says so quietly, it's almost inaudible. "Do it." He hands Thomas the vial.

Thomas takes it and quickly walks over to Alby. Alby's panting like a dog and Thomas hesitates to inject it. It's hard for me to watch, but I can't keep my eyes off it.

"... Okay..." Thomas says nervously, looking back at us. But before he fully turns back around Alby grips his shirt with his hands, even though his arms are strapped to the table.

"You shouldn't be here!" Alby grunts over and over.

We all begin to panic and help Thomas get off.

Alby starts to choke Thomas for what it looks like.

"You shouldn't be here!"

My heart is racing once again.

"Alby!" Newt yells.

"Let go!" I screech.

We all are trying to pry open his fingers or yank Thomas off. Finally we grip his hands and hold him onto the bed or table, whatever it's called.

"Get the syringe!" Thomas yells over Alby's growls.

Teresa quickly grabs it from where Thomas dropped it and smashes into Alby's shoulder. Almost immediately he calms down, and we're all out of breath.

"... Well ... that worked," Jeff says catching his breath.

"Okay from now on," Newt says with his chest rising up and down from heavy and unsteady breaths, "someone stays here and watches him around the clock."

We are all still so shocked and breathless to answer.

"Hey," we hear someone say at the door and we all turn around immediately. Gally stands in the doorway, and nobody says anything.

"Sundown, Greenie. Time to go." Gally says.

We all look at Thomas, who is hesitant about going.

Newt gives a slight nod, symboling him to go with Gally.

The rest of us stay for a moment and watch Alby, who looks much more peaceful than he did moments earlier.

Another note
Im  beginning to feel a lot less frustrated because Im starting to get back on track with the plot! Yay lol. Also I'm sorry if there is any grammatical errors I just woke up lmao. I really really love this chapter oh my god.
Thanks again for all the support! You guys are the best

Olivia x