Chapter One

3 years earlier

I woke up to pure darkness and the sound of something rattling and straining filled my ears. I felt myself moving upward in complete blindness, which made my stomach churn with nervousness.
Cold sweat was forming on my forehead and the back of my neck. From my position laying down on my back, I began to try to stand up, slowly putting my hands on the ground and trying to guide myself in the darkness. As a rose to my knees, then my feet, I lurched forward due to having such lack of balance.

My heart and head was racing, spinning, thumping, all at the same time which made my panic grow each second. What is happening to me? Where am I?

I lowered myself back to my hands and knees, absolutely terrified of what was happening, and what was to come.
"HELLO?!" I screeched at no one. My voice had sounded as if it hadn't been used in weeks. "IS ANYONE HERE?"
The only response was my heartbeat in my ears. I could feel the frustration in my throat.

Looking into the darkness, trying to make some sense of my surroundings, I must have failed to see when a red dot of light appeared a mere few feet away. Curiously, I slowly crawled to it. It appeared the tiny red light was mounted on the side of a metal cage. I sat on my knees and with keeping my left hand on the floor for balance, I shakily lifted my right. I felt the cold metal around my hand as I hooked it around the holes. And peering through those holes, I noticed that I was in fact moving upward. "What the hell...?" I whispered to nobody but myself this time. "Where am I..."

Before I could even finish my thought I felt myself moving even faster, as though the cage, or whatever I seemed to be in, was in a hurry and using all its might.

I turned over, resting my back against the cage and clutching my hands around it. Utterly confused, I tried to think of something to calm me.

But my mind was blank. Absolutely plain old blank. My hand came to rest on my forehead. There was nothing. Why do I have no memories? Nothing fulfilled my mind except one thing.

My name.

Tedessa.

No. I didn't like that. It was to... I just didn't like it. I didn't know why, obviously, but I could feel it. It reminded me of someone, or something... I just knew it wasn't in a good way.
But then-
Teddy.
That was it. That was my name. It felt familiar- In a way that I couldn't quite make sense of. I'm this state of unknowing, but it just felt like mine. That almost could've made me smile if it weren't for my reality.

Suddenly the cage yielded to a stop, and my heart yielded with it. I felt petrified and so nauseous, and I had no clue how to act or what to do. "What is happening to me?" I mumbled to myself.
Suddenly, a bright green light flashed on from across the cage with a ding, lightly up everything in a green tint. My eyes quickly shut, not used to the light after being in darkness for the past minutes.

All four walls surrounding me were cages, and in on the opposite side were stacks and stacks of wooden crates.

I barely had time to begin to observe because in a matter of seconds doors began to draw open from above me, making a painfully loud noise, and I was — once again — blinded. But this time not by darkness- by what I could only assume would be sunlight.

After a few moments of adjusting to the sunlight, I looked up to see another crate wall above me. I gradually made it to my feet, still lacking a bit of balance. It was easier now because I was no longer moving.

"HELLO?" I shouted as loud as I possibly could. "IS ANYONE THERE?" My voice sounded so hoarse.

Even though the concrete doors above had opened, there was still a cage covering the overhead. How do I even get this open...