Chapter Two

12 months later

Since I arrived at the Glade it's been 12 months. There are a total of 14 Gladers now. Alby, Newt and I, and others, have all been working together to create a set of rules, so our Glade can stay nice and organized. We even assigned jobs, to keep everyone busy.

Newt and I have become especially close. I guess you could say he's my best friend. We do everything together every chance we get and, since that first day, tell each other pretty much everything.

I have made some other friends here too, though. Like this kid named Minho. He came up in the box just a month after me. He's so funny and smart (and sometimes an idiot), and Newt really likes him as well. He's grown to be one of my closest friends, and is like a brother to me in some ways.

Some Gladers are the opposite though. Like Gally. He acts like such a tough and ruthless guy, but really I know he's soft inside. A week after he arrived Newt and I heard him crying in his hammock when he thought everyone was asleep. I felt so bad for him in that moment, but then Newt reminded me how he had chased me around the Glade with a knife "as a joke" the day earlier, so then I felt a little less sorry for him.

These days there's not much to keep me occupied. I mostly clean up around the Glade or tend the animals. There's not quite a job that I've been decent at, so I help around wherever I can or wherever I'm needed.
Luckily though, the creators sent up some books in the box. I read in all my free time, if I'm not with Newt of course.

~~~

I woke up this morning feeling drowsy and I didn't wanna get out of my cot. (Yes, cot. I built it myself actually. Along with my little shed that I sleep inside every night). I slept awful last night, tossing and turning, i kept having dreams of the Maze. It made me feel as if everything that we are doing to try and escape the Glade, wasn't working. That we'd be trapped here like animals in zoo for the rest of our lives. Sometimes I think back to the first day I met Newt and how he tried to end his life, and I wonder if I did that would anyone really miss me? I know I'm probably just overthinking. Right? I shut my eyes trying to let sleep fulfill me.

I heard my door creak open and footsteps coming towards me.

"Go away," I whined without even checking who it was.

"It's just me," Newt said.

"Go away," I repeat while turning onto my side.

He scoffed.
"Fry wanted me to give you your books back." Frypan is our Cook, and a very good one if I do say so myself. And I happened to have books about cooking so I was more than happy to lend them to him. He set them down onto my tiny table and sat at the end of my bed.

I groaned, pulling the blanket over my head. "You're gonna have to get up sometime, Teddy," he says.

I pull down the blanket to reveal my face. "What's the point?"

"The point is you have a Glade full of shanks who love you and want you to clean up their klunk!" He sighed and said sarcastically.

I giggled and sat up, rubbing my eyes. "Just let me sleep!" I yawned.

Newt left me to get dressed and then we headed to get breakfast together. It was still pretty early because the corridors were closed, but that meant we had time to visit with Minho. Most of the Glader's weren't even awake yet.

"Thanks Fry," I say while heading towards our usual spot with my omelet.

My droopy eyes locked with Minho's when I caught him looking at me. "What?" I say annoyed.