Chapter Fifteen

It's been what feels like a lifetime since Ben was banished, and since the girl showed up. Jeff and Clint have been caring for the girl, but they only let us in to visit one time. I have to admit, she's very pretty. Black hair, rosy cheeks and pale skin. I hope she wakes up, but Clint informs us she may be in a coma.

Newt and I are sitting by the tree by the gardens, our usual spot. He is munching on and apple and I am reading my book. None of us speak, the only sound is the birds chirping or Gladers talking in the distance. But we prefer it that way.

Even though I'm holding my book reading, my mind just keeps wandering beyond the pages. I lead my gaze to above my book. I can't seem to stay focused on reading, which is unusual for me. Whenever I read I always get lost in the pages and the story, but today I can't seem to stay focused on it. I keep getting lost in my thoughts instead, and thinking about, just, I don't even know. Everything. My life. The Glade. The Creators. Banishing Ben. The Girl. My friends. Newt. I wonder what he is thinking of.

It's funny how my thoughts can wander in any direction, but they always head in Newt's.

"What are you thinking about?" Newt says, before I can even ask him the same thing.

I smile weakly and shrug. "Everything."

He nods and smiles. "We've been through hell and back, haven't we," he scoffs.

My weak smile slowly fades thinking about all the things that has happened in the past 3- almost 4 years we've been here. "You're right, I guess we have. But thank god I've got you to go through it with me." I couldn't ever imagine being in the Glade without Newt. He is the only person who truly understands me, and who is always there in good times and bad. He's got the kindest and funniest soul and I love him for that.

"Guess you can thank yourself for that, Teddy," he says while throwing his apple core into the woods.

"You can't possibly credit me for that!" I laugh.

"And why not? You quite literally dragged my arse out of that Maze!" He laughs along.

"Yeah, well, you could have chosen not to speak to me! Or not be friends!" My heart aches even thinking of that thought.

He grabs my hand and our fingers intertwine. "Well that doesn't matter, does it? All that matters is that we're here together now."

I smile brightly, looking up into his chocolate brown eyes. It's as if the whole world stops when I get lost in his eyes. Nobody else matters. It's only him and I.

I wonder what he sees when he stares into my eyes. He once told me they were bright blue, but I've never even seen myself in a mirror. I think it's pretty fascinating how a simple gaze or even a blank stare into someone's eyes can convey many meaning.

We sit like that for a moment, fingers intertwined, smiled plastered onto our faces and eyes locked into a gaze.

I never want to break our eye contact. I wish it could last forev-

"Hey! Teddy! Newt!"

Damnit.

Our gazes our broken by someone shouting our names. I turn to see Chuck, jogging towards us.

"Yes, Chuck?" Newt says partially annoyed.

"I think it's gonna rain!" He says happily, looking at the sky. It's nice to see him smile today.

"Seriously?" I ask. "It's only rained once before!"

Me and Newt let go of each other's hands and stand up with Chuck, out from under the tree,

"Look!" Chuck says pointing at the now grey sky.

"Woah," Newt says amazed. It's nice to see him smile today, too.

All of a sudden Chuck screeches. "Ah ha! Did you guys feel that! A rain drop! See? See?" He points to his wrist, revealing a large rain drop.

"Wow!" I say before gasping, "I feel em, too!"

Before we know it, it's raining really hard. All three of us are running across the Glade to get shelter. I tuck my book under my shirt so it doesn't get soaked.

We see the other Gladers by Homestead and head there.

"Quick get under!" Frypan says laughing, motioning towards the awning.

"Oh man! I'm all wet!" I laugh.

Everyone seems to be having a good time due to today's circumstances. I laugh and look around.

"Hey," I say to nobody in particular. "Where is Minho and Alby?"

Gally checks his watch. "You're right. They are usually back by now. The doors close in like 25 minutes."

"I'll bet they'll be here soon," Nick says. "Let's just wait a few minutes."

Everyone agrees and stands in silence, listening to the rain.

Minutes pass and I'm standing next to Newt and Thomas.
"They should be back by now," Thomas says.

Neither Newt or I respond.

"What happens if they don't make it back?" He adds.

"They're gonna make it," Newt says.

"Come on, everyone," Chucks says. "let's go wait by the Corridors."

And with that everyone runs over, hoping our friends will be there awaiting us.