Chapter Twenty One

Newt's POV

It feels like I've barely gotten any sleep, and dawn is creeping up. And Teddy stayed in my thoughts the whole night. It felt like my heart was screaming, I couldn't take it. My head had an enormous headache and nose was already stuffed, all because of me crying and worrying. The feeling I have wasn't even emotional anymore. It's a physical pain in my chest and stomach, and I can feel it lurching whenever the thought of my friends not making it comes into my brain.

I decided that I needed to at least try to sleep again. So I laid on my back staring at the empty sky, that hours ago was completely dark.

~~~

"Newt!" I'm shook awake by Chuck, who is leaning over my face, covering the bright blue morning sky.

"Newt! The corridors! They're about to open!" He exclaims.

I quickly shot up, my heart racing for answers.

The other Gladers and I crowd around the enormous doors. Small conversations and murmurs are heard throughout but don't listen to any of them.

All of the sudden the doors open, making me more anxious.

All of the talking seems to stop once the doors are fully opened. Nothing. Not any of my friends are on the other side! My heart has just been ripped into a million pieces right in front of me. I felt tired and weak. And after a moment of waiting i decided to turn back to homestead, to try and figure out what I was gonna do with myself. I can't go through this by myself! It's Teddy, she's always there for me no matter what. What am I going to do without her?! I miss her so much already! I want her in my arms, I want her safe and happy! She's the kindest, smartest, and funniest soul I've ever met. She doesn't deserve this...

I'm once again pulled out of my thoughts to Chuck.

"There!" He screeches.

"Oh my god...." Zart says.

I'm now nearly halfway to homestead as I turn my attention to Gladers all around crowding against the opening. What is going on?

"Newt!" Chuck yells to me. "Newt come quick!"

I quickly run towards them, ignoring my limp. In a matter of seconds I'm standing next to Chuck and able to see through the doors.

A huge smile plasters my face, but quickly disappears. And just as it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, another one is put back on. She's hurt! I think to myself.

Alby is being supported mostly by Thomas, and every now and then leaning on Minho. Teddy on the other hand is being carried by Minho bridal style, I guess you could call it.

Slowly they approach us, each step closer makes my heart ache from looking at my distressed friends.

Alby is set gently on the ground and Clint, Jeff and a few others are already there with a 'stretcher.' Minho lays Teddy gently on the ground as well, and I'm there next to her within seconds. I pull her unconscious self into my arms, holding her just as Minho was carrying her moments ago. One single tear trickles from my eye at the sight of her, I'm not sure if it's a happy tear or sad. Happy because I missed her so much and was afraid of losing her, but sad because of a bloody scrape on her forehead and stains on her cheeks from tears.
"Oh Teddy..." I whisper, holding her close to me. Our bodies weren't even a centimeter apart and it still wasn't close enough. "Wake up, please!" I whisper into her hair while resting my face on her head.

"Newt," I hear Minho say in a worried tone. He crouches down in front of us. "Newt she will be okay. I promise you. She just got exhausted, and fell."

I look into his eyes, feeling my heart shatter again at the sight of the hidden sorrow. I take a shaky breath, choke back my tears, and nod, afraid if I say anything I'll burst into tears. But I manage to say one thing to my friend, "Thank you."

~~~

Thank you for 388 reads! It may not seem like a lot, but it is to me! I hope you all are enjoying it so far and please don't be shy to comment.

Have a good one! :)

Olivia x