Chapter 19: Show Me Something Magical

Note: I'm assuming people know that there are trigger warnings in this story but I will note that there are mentions of drinking, suicide, self-injury, and suicide in this chapter.

Severus and Laura stood in an awkward silence, with Severus staring at her from the steps. He slowly moved all the way down, wishing he and Laura could finally talk about things, but he could tell she was irritated.

"Where... exactly are we going this evening?" Severus asked, partly dreading her answer.

Laura breathed deeply. "To a charity gala... a very stupid gala with a bunch of rich douches." Laura looked at Severus, seeing a concerned look on his face. "Sorry, I shouldn't say that. I just don't like things like this... and I really hate wearing dresses, especially because you're expected to wear fancy ball gowns."

"Why is it so important that you go?" Severus asked.

"I made a promise to my aunt. My uncle is a doctor... he's a muggle and it's a gala the doctors have. They auction art and things off. It helps raise money for the hospital," Laura said quietly.

Severus stared at Laura, debating his next question. "Laura... who is Derrick?" he asked quietly.

Laura sighed. "I'm sorry Grace brought that up. He's just a doctor at the hospital."

"But he has... feelings for you?" Severus watched Laura, feeling like jealous was about to build in his chest.

"He doesn't have feelings for me."

"But your aunt said—"

Laura cut him off. "Severus, he doesn't want to date me, he wants to sleep with me. That's all he wants. He has made that disgustingly clear by the thoughts in his head."

Severus didn't say anything, but he did feel the jealousy he anticipated rising rapidly in his chest. He tried to ignore it, but it was difficult to think of another man thinking of Laura.

He wanted to change the subject, hoping it would cause his jealousy to lower itself. "I read your journal," Severus said softly, and Laura looked at him, not knowing how he felt about the words she had spilled into countless empty pages. "Thank you for letting me read your thoughts. Laura, I..." Severus trailed off before speaking again. "I should have never said I didn't know you because I do. I was upset when I saw that. I don't know if you still want to be with me and I feel I have no right to ask you that right now, after everything that happened. But I will always love and want you, even if you don't feel the same."

Laura's eyes soften and Severus couldn't tell how she was feeling. "I need time, Severus. I never expected to see you again. I just... I need time."

Severus nodded. "Laura... I need you to know that your memories never changed how I feel about you. My feelings never changed." Severus stared at her, noticing how uncomfortable she looked as he brought up her memories.

"I um... I have to go do a few things in town. Will you be fine by yourself for a while?" Laura asked. Severus nodded, wanting to ask where she was going, but he felt like he was overstepping. "There is a little food in the fridge if you get hungry. It's not much... I haven't been shopping lately, but you can have whatever you want. There are some restaurants in town, too, if you want something out."

Severus nodded and Laura quickly left. Severus wished she had stayed so they could finally talk about everything, but she seemed to be pushing him away.

Severus let the familiar sound of silence invade his ears before he slowly made his way back upstairs. He went into the bathroom to take a shower. He got undressed and moved into the shower, letting the hot water rush over his skin. The water felt soothing as he washed the feeling of being on airplanes and around muggles away from his body.