Chapter 13: A Sunflower Goodbye

The next two months went by steadily for Laura and Severus. Their relationship continued to thrive, and Severus was happier than ever, but he still had a nagging feeling lingering in the back of his mind. He knew it was only a matter of time before Voldemort returned and he would be interested in Laura if Lucius opened his mouth. Severus tried to ignore his worries, but all he could think about was protecting Laura.

It was the beginning of June when things started to change. The last competition in the Triwizard Tournament was coming up and students were losing their interests in focusing on school, too excited for their summer holiday starting soon.

One night, Severus stayed with Laura after making his rounds around the school, checking for students out of bed. When he got to her chambers, he found her sitting on the bed, rubbing her temples, looking like she was starting to feel sick. "Are you all right?"

Laura dropped her hands, not realizing Severus was there. "I'm fine..." Laura trailed off. Severus's eyes lingered on her for a moment before getting ready for bed. He slipped into bed and pulled Laura against him, wrapping his arms around her. "You really look like you don't feel well."

"I'm okay, really. We should sleep." Laura squeezed Severus's hand lightly, hoping he would drop the subject. Severus sighed in defeat before using magic to turn the lights off and he slid the covers up over himself and Laura. He pulled her close, gently kissing the back of her neck. Severus stayed awake for a while, feeling like something was wrong, but he didn't know what it was. He eventually drifted to sleep, still worried.

Severus woke early the next morning, startled that he didn't feel Laura next to him. He jumped up, changing his clothes. It was Saturday, so he knew Laura didn't have any obligations for the day. He walked into the kitchen, pausing when he saw Laura on her knees, sitting on the floor. There was a shattered coffee mug in front of her and Severus stared, realizing there was blood around Laura.

Severus moved closer, getting down on the floor, seeing cuts on her hand from jagged pieces of the mug. Severus felt his heart pounding and he gently touched Laura's face, making her look at him. "Laura, what is it?"

"Something's...something's wrong. There's too much blood." Laura's voice was filled with delirium. Severus looked down, realizing the blood wasn't just coming from the cuts on her hand. Severus was starting to panic; he didn't have anything to help her, and all logic was thrown from his mind as he watched her. The only thing he could think to do was scoop her up and take her to the hospital wing. Severus, up until this point, had been worried about their relationship being exposed, but in this moment, he didn't care. Something was wrong and he needed to get Laura help. One bonus was that it was early on Saturday so most of the students were still asleep in their dormitories.

Severus held Laura tightly in his arms as he left her chambers, heading for the hospital wing as quickly as he could. He passed Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore, which he didn't really need, because they followed him to the hospital wing, hounding him with questions as Laura laid in his arms, shaking. Severus could tell Laura was in pain, which only made him move faster.

Severus made it to the hospital wing, putting Laura down gently on one of the beds and Madam Pomfrey rushed to help, already checking on Laura. Minerva moved to Laura's side, holding her hand. "Minerva...please...," Laura paused, "get them out...please...make them go." Laura's voice sounded weak and fragile as she spoke.

Minerva looked at Severus and Dumbledore before moving to them. "You both need to leave."

"I'm not going anywhere," Severus said sternly.

"Laura is lying there, getting ready to be exposed. She's bleeding and she's terrified of what's happening. You don't need to see her this way. Now get out!" Severus could see the annoyance ready to boil over in Minerva's eyes, but he still didn't want to back down.