Chapter 31: Saying Goodbye didn't used to be so Easy

The night moved slowly, with Severus nearly emptying the entire bottle of fire whiskey he had into his stomach before passing out on the couch. He woke early in the morning, just as the sun began to rise, a pounding headache beating violently in his ears. He laid awake, squinting at the ceiling as his eyes adjusted as much as they could to the light as he felt the impact of his hangover.

Severus sat up, feeling stiff from sleeping on the couch. He stayed on the couch for a while, wondering if Laura had ever returned. He eventually got up, moving to the bedroom, wincing as the sound of his own footsteps penetrated his head. Severus quietly opened the bedroom door, feeling his heart sink into his stomach as he saw the perfectly made bed, seeing no signs that Laura had been there that night.

He wasn't sure she would ever come back.

But could anyone blame her?

Severus tried to ignore the fact that Laura hadn't returned as he slowly made his way to the shower, knowing he had to get ready for teaching. He spent a good amount of time bathing, wishing the warm water would wash away his guilt.

But it didn't.

Severus soon finished getting ready, making his way to the potions room. The first half of the day went as smoothly as it could, but Severus was in a foul mood, which the students picked up on pretty quickly.

During one of Severus's classes, he was sitting at his desk, staring at essays, while his students worked on their potions. Severus was in the midst of giving another failing mark on a paper when Harry Potter walked up with a vial of his finished potion. "What do you want, Potter?" Severus spat.

"I finished the Deflating Potion, sir," Harry said quietly.

"Give it here," Severus barked, holding out his hand.

Harry handed over the small vial and Severus investigated it before a satisfied smile grew on his face. "Well, I must say, Potter," Severus said with amusement before he stood from his chair, "you are nothing but consistent." Severus watched a look of defeat appear on Harry's face. "I don't understand how your potions always wind up being so terrible," Severus spat.

"But sir!" Harry exclaimed. "Hermione said it was perfect!"

Severus raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so you're getting help from another student when this was an individual assignment?"

"N-no," Harry stuttered, "that's not what I meant."

"Ten points from Gryffindor," Severus seethed.

"That's not fair!" Harry yelled. "I didn't do anything wrong!"

Anger began boiling rapidly in Severus's body as he glared at Harry. "Do you want a detention!?" Severus's voice boomed through the room like thunder, terrifying the students.

By this point, McGonagall had been walking by, hearing Severus yelling at Harry. She knew Severus could have an attitude, but this seemed extreme, even for him. Minerva knew something was wrong, especially since she had bumped into Laura the previous night as she was trying to slip from the castle.

Minerva moved to the potion's door, throwing it open, knowing she needed to end this situation. "Professor Snape!" she yelled.

"What!?" Severus snapped.

Minerva didn't say anything at first as she gazed around the room, seeing the scared looks on several of the students' faces. "This class is dismissed."

But no student moved, not one inch, terrified of Severus's attitude. "Excuse me?" Severus scoffed. "You can't just—"

Minerva raised an eyebrow, causing Severus to sigh and roll his eyes. "Everyone out," Severus said.