Chapter 30: Velocity of Collision

I don't write a lot of chapters where Severus gets angry, so I felt this was long over due. Enjoy. :) 

Hours passed at the gallery, with Severus amazed that Laura could spend so much time staring at the art. Her eyes must have traced every line, absorbed every color, and felt every emotion behind each colored stroke.

They left a little later, walking arm-in arm, with Severus feeling a bit bolder, not caring if anyone saw them. Plus, they were in a muggle area, so there was little chance of being seen by anyone they knew.

"Thank you for this, Severus," Laura said, voice flowing with gratitude. "This was really special."

Severus felt a warm smile tugging at his lips over Laura's happiness. He looked at her beautiful smile, a smile that sparked a fire in Laura's eyes.

Severus loved that spark.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Severus said with the smile never leaving his face. "But the day isn't over yet."

Laura looked at him in surprise. "You have more planned?"

"Just dinner," Severus told her. "There's a restaurant nearby I thought you might like."

Laura nodded and smiled as they walked but they soon stopped in a park on the way to the restaurant, feeling peaceful as their eyes got lost in the nature surrounding them. "It's so pretty here," Laura whispered.

"Indeed," Severus agreed.

Severus and Laura stood together, feeling peace in their hearts, in their minds, and Severus hoped it would never end.

Except, this was real life, and he knew that. He knew his peace wouldn't last long, but, in that moment, he had no idea how soon his peace would be shattered into millions of fragments.

"Laura?" a voice called out behind them.

Severus turned towards the origins of the voice, finding a beautiful young woman, around Laura's age, with auburn hair and icy blue eyes. He glanced at Laura, who seemed frozen in place until Severus gently tapped her shoulder, making her slowly turn.

"It is you!" the woman gushed, wrapping her arms around Laura, who barely reciprocated the hug, seeming suddenly on edge. "I had no idea you were in London!"

"Not for long," Laura said awkwardly. "We're just here for the day."

Severus looked between Laura and the unnamed woman, wondering why Laura seemed so rigid over the woman's appearance. The woman looked between Laura and Severus, a solemn look forming on her face as she eyed them, noticing a ring wrapped around Laura's finger. Laura noticed the change in the woman's expression. "Oh, right. Sorry. Iris," Laura said quietly, "this is my fiancé, Severus."

A look of disbelief fell on Iris's face as she stared at Laura. "You seriously went back to him?" Iris questioned.

"Iris, you—" Laura tried to speak but Iris didn't give her the chance.

"No! You were so messed up after everything and yet... here you are... with him," Iris spat. "You are so fucking stupid for doing this, you know that? Maybe once you get your common sense back, we can catch up." Iris stormed off, leaving a stunned and silent Laura standing weakly beside Severus.

Severus stared at Laura in confusion, not understanding what just occurred. Iris left quickly, leaving a silent Laura as Severus watched her, expecting her to clue him in on whatever just happened but Laura remained silent.

"What was that about?" Severus asked.

"Nothing," Laura said quietly. "Can we go to this place you were talking about?"