Chapter 29: Infinity on High

A little note: Hi, everyone! I didn't expect to write a chapter so soon, especially because this chapter was not something I originally intended to write. I've been under a lot of stress but I just submitted my final assignment for my master's degree and some of that stress lifted, making it easier to write. I've had some issues lately and thought writing this would cheer me up. It doesn't have a lot of plot but it's something I imagine Laura and Severus doing and that made me happy. Plus, I was a bit inspired by some art I saw recently. So, I think some chapters will just be about happiness or silly things. Anyway, hope you enjoy. :)

Severus walked at a quick pace through Diagon Alley, feeling both a want and need to escape its walls. He worried Laura would ask about her wand or that Ollivander would exit his store, having no memory of the last few hours.

But Severus had to do it. He had to keep Laura safe.

"Severus!" Laura exclaimed.

Severus stopped walking and quickly whipped around, causing Laura to bump into his chest, nearly losing her balance before Severus grabbed her and put her upright. "What?"

"I've been saying your name for like five minutes," Laura said, nearly out of breath. "What is with you? And where in the world are we going?"

Severus crossed his arms and glared at her, feeling on edge, wondering if Laura would piece what had happened together. "Nothing is with me," he snapped.

Severus realized his mistake in that moment as Laura glared at him, obviously not caring for his tone. Severus was used to being a jerk to everyone because other people were too afraid to say or do anything in response, except Laura.

But she wasn't just anyone.

Severus sighed as his facial expression quickly softened. "I just want us to go where we need to be," he said, half-lying.

"Which is where?" Laura asked.

"London," he said simply as he turned back around, starting his quick pace once again. Laura trailed behind, trying to catch up with him.

"London? Why?" Laura asked behind him.

Severus rolled his eyes and turned back around. "Why do you ask so many questions? Can't you just let me surprise you? Haven't you ever heard that stupid muggle saying... curiosity killed the cat?"

To Severus's surprise, a smirk grew on Laura's face. "Have you ever heard the rest of that stupid muggle saying?" Laura retorted. "But satisfaction brought it back? Not many people know that the saying was warped over the years."

A heavy sigh fell from Severus's mouth as his eyes involuntarily rolled. "My point is: I want to surprise you with something nice, that I think will make you feel at least better for the moment. So, please... will you just come with me and not ask any more questions?"

A warm glow radiated from Laura's eyes as she listened to his words and watched his facial expressions. Laura fell into her thoughts, wondering again and again how the man standing across from her, the man everyone was terrified of, the greasy old dungeon bat, cared this much about her.

No one had ever cared for Laura the way Severus did.

"Can I ask just one more question?" Laura's eyes flicked to Severus's; those big green orbs staring into his onyx ones.

Severus rolled his eyes. "What could you possibly ask right now?"

"Can we stop for more coffee? Please?" Laura questioned.

Severus felt a scowl grow on his face. "You know, I don't understand your strange addiction to coffee," he said as he noticed a tiredness in Laura's eyes, "but I suppose we have time. There's a coffee shop there." Severus pointed a little down the way. "Get your coffee. I'll wait for you here."