Chapter 10: Demons and Nightmares

T/W- There are mentions of abuse in this chapter. 

The air was cold and drafty as Severus walked into the now destroyed house. Severus slowly made his way through the house, finding James Potter's dead body near the steps leading upstairs. Severus felt his heart begin to pound as he stepped over the body, making his way upstairs. He felt weak in the knees as he made it to the nursery, discovering Lily's body on the floor. Severus dropped to his knees next to Lily, releasing an ear-shattering sob into the air.

"It's time, Severus." A cold voice rang through Severus's ears, filling his body like icy water. Severus could see a dark figure standing in the shadows of the dilapidated room. The figure slowly stepped into the light, revealing a pale face, snake-like slits for nostrils, and evil eyes. It was the face of a monster. It was the face of Lord Voldemort.

Severus sat on his knees, staring at Lily, tears hiding in his eyes. "No! I won't let you take her! You can't take Lily!"

An evil smile formed on Voldemort's face. "You think I want her? Oh, no, Severus. I don't want her. I want Laura. She's special. I can feel it. You keep trying to ignore how special she is. You can feel it, too. You can see it in her eyes." The smile on Voldemort's face grew even bigger, filling with even more cruelty. "I will get her, one way or another when I return. It's only a matter of time." Voldemort's eyes shifted to Lily's body and Severus followed his eyes with his own, realizing why Voldemort was staring.

Instead of red hair, Severus was seeing deep brown hair. Instead of light green eyes, he was seeing the deepest green eyes, with bright swirls dancing in them. Severus's heart skipped a beat when he saw those eyes. It wasn't Lily dead on the floor anymore, it was Laura; except, she wasn't dead, she was dying, right in front of Severus.

Severus felt a horrifying rage erupting in his body, the temperature of his blood rapidly building, making it boil angrily beneath his skin, as he stared at Laura, watching the beautiful light she once held in her eyes, dissipating. Severus glanced at Voldemort, realizing he was still smiling.

Any control Severus still had, completely disappeared as that evil smile stayed plastered to Voldemort's face. He moved away from Laura, letting his rage completely take over his mind and he leapt towards Voldemort, throwing him to the ground. Severus jumped on top of Voldemort, grabbing him firmly by the throat, wishing to squeeze the life from his body.

Severus pressed hard against Voldemort's neck, wanting to kill him, ready to kill him. He stared into Voldemort's cold, evil eyes as he did so, hoping it would all be over soon. He continued pressing down before feeling a stinging sensation in his arm.

Severus blinked and realized he was no longer in the nearly destroyed house. He was back in the cottage, straddling Laura on the bedroom floor, hands wrapped around her neck. Severus's breath caught in his throat as he realized he had been dreaming and worse than that, he had been acting that dream out.

He quickly released his hands, giving Laura the opportunity to push herself away from him, gasping for air. Severus stared at Laura, seeing a mixture of fear and confusion filling her eyes. "Laura, I..." Severus trailed off, unsure of how to explain this to Laura.

Laura stood and Severus watched her stumble, most likely from the lack of oxygen. Severus stood, staring at Laura. "Laura, let me explain. Please!"

Laura didn't say anything and backed away from him before moving to the bathroom, locking the door behind her. Severus moved to the door. "Laura, please. Let me explain. I was dreaming. I—"

"I know; it's fine." Laura's voice sounded raspy and fearful as Severus felt his heart pounding in his ears. "I just need a minute, okay?"

Severus gently pressed his hand against the bathroom door, feeling terrified of what he had just done. Severus was afraid of how Laura must have been feeling in that moment. He knew anyone would be terrified in Laura's situation, but Laura had been through terrible things in her past and Severus had probably just sent Laura right into her past. He was terrified he had just broken the trust Laura had in him.