Chapter 3: A Dragon, Hogsmeade, and a Dance

The next evening at dinner, the great hall was buzzing with excitement as the champions for the Triwizard Tournament were going to be announced. Severus watched Laura, who barely ate, yet again, which caused him concern. After dinner, the winners were announced. Everything was going fine with the Goblet of Fire, until a fourth name was spewed from it, which had never happened before.

Harry Potter was the fourth name drawn, which meant instead of three champions, there would be four, two of whom, would be from Hogwarts. Both Severus and Dumbledore knew dark things were coming and this could be the beginning of something terrible.

They also felt worried, knowing that someone manipulated the Goblet of Fire, since it was such a powerful object. The first task in the competition would be held on November 24th. Dumbledore was extremely concerned over Harry's name being drawn from the goblet and asked Laura to keep an eye on Harry.

After the dramatic events at dinner, Severus walked slowly back to his chambers. He didn't know what to think. He tried to play things cool, but was finding it difficult to not worry, as he knew the Dark Lord would eventually return, despite all efforts to stop him. Severus stayed awake most of the night out of worry.

The next few days went by slowly and Severus hadn't seen Laura over those days. He was worried about her, but he didn't want to overstep and make her feel like he was watching her. Dumbledore asked Severus how Laura was doing, and Severus told him that she seemed okay for now. Dumbledore seemed content with the answer and went about his business.

When a few days had passed, he resumed working on potions with Laura and found himself enjoying the time. He actually looked forward to seeing her. Laura seemed to be enjoying the experience as well and Severus noticed that she was starting to look a lot less tired than before.

The first trial of the Triwizard Tournament approached quickly. Severus arrived and took a seat next to Minerva McGonagall. He left a seat open on his other side for when Laura showed up. After a little while of making small talk with Minerva, the challenge was getting ready to start and Laura was nowhere in sight. Severus thought it was odd that Laura wasn't there since Dumbledore had mentioned that Laura had a love of dragons and the first challenge revolved around collecting a golden egg from a dragon. Severus looked around, wondering if Laura was somewhere else, but he couldn't see her.

The first three challengers were able to collect their eggs and the final Triwizard champion, Harry Potter, was up next. Severus felt someone sit beside him as the last dragon was brought out. He turned and saw Laura sitting there.

"You're late," he said dryly. Laura scanned the arena as the next dragon was being brought out.

"What did I miss?" Laura asked, almost out of breath.

"You wouldn't have to ask if you had shown up on time," Severus said matter-of-factly.

Laura gently nudged Severus in response to his snarky comment and Severus would never admit it, but feeling Laura touch him gave him butterflies in his stomach.

Severus, with a heavy sigh, went on to tell her that Harry was the last to face his dragon and the other champions had already collected their eggs.

Everyone grew quiet as they saw the last dragon. Harry's dragon was probably the most dangerous that could have been brought for the competition. The Hungarian Horntail was an incredibly vicious animal, with evil yellow eyes, and a spiked tail. Not to mention, the Hungarian Horntail could shoot fire forty feet from its mouth. Everyone watched the dragon intently as it looked at the golden egg it was given to protect, but what happened next, no one expected.

The dragon scanned the area and saw the egg it was going to protect, but its gaze didn't stay on the egg for long. It quickly lost interest in the egg and turned towards where most of the professors were sitting. Severus realized it was looking at something else, or someone else. The dragon moved closer and closer to the staff, which was causing some discomfort amongst them.