Games- Day 2 continued

Hazel Hunter's POV:

I watch through the small, fogged up window has the Careers leave the cornucopia. They leave most of their supplies and only take a few weapons and snacks. It's midday and I'm sure the Capitol is looking for some action. The cabin seems so much emptier without Maya. She left before we woke up and we left the cave to go searching for her. We figure she's more than capable to protect herself and now we've settled down in this fancy little cabin.

"Hey, Paisley? The Careers are looking for people. They're searching the mountain it looks like." As soon as I say this they rush into a clump of trees and disappear.

BOOM.

The Careers come running back out with a look of satisfaction. They continue their trek towards us.

"Paisley we need to go.....I'm scared Paisley, they're coming." I whisper urgently.

She comes to stand beside me and hands me a pack.

"Take this and hide. If we get separated all the vital supplies are in this." She says.

I sling the bag over my shoulders and turn to her.

"What about you?" I ask. She can't possibly think she can fend off all four Careers herself?

"Don't worry, I'll be fine." She assures me. She climbs the steep ladder that leads to a small loft and I hear the sound of breaking glass. I follow her up the ladder and find that she's broken the window. My sister gathers the sharp shards of glass and puts them in her pocket. She hands me a few pieces and I do the same. She pulls me towards the window and helps me onto the windowsill outside.

"Climb down and run towards the trees. You'll be safe there." She reassures me. Before I can object she pushes me onto the wooden beams of the cabin. It's fairly easy to scale the walls as the thick wooden logs are wide and easy to hook your feet into. I wait for Paisley to follow behind me but she doesn't appear.

"Paisley!" I shout.

I hear the door to the cabin open. They've come.

"Paisley!" I shriek louder this time.

Paisley Hunter's POV:

I hear my sister screaming from outside and I silently will her to stop. If she keeps it up the Careers will go for her instead. I grab the small bag I packed in advance and wedge myself under the bed. Yesterday I discovered a small room that's hidden under the floor. I didn't tell Hazel about it because I though it was an important secret. Now I just feel selfish.

There is a wide space underneath the bed with a small square trapdoor centred underneath. I can hear heavy foot steps down stairs and Hazel's frightened screams still ring in my ears. I slip under the little door and fall down into the small space. The area is dimly lit and it's hard to see. I've been here before though and I know what's down here. Shelves. There are shelves of supplies hidden underneath the cabins. Food lines one wall from the floor to the low ceiling and coats and blankets are hung on the other wall. Someone could probably last the whole Games down here. Why didn't I bring Hazel with me? We could have stayed down here together. I sit in the corner of the supply cellar and cry. I scream and cry until I hear footsteps above me. I can hear the footsteps circling around the loft and shoving the dresser and tables to the ground.

"Burn it. Let the other tributes know we're here." One says gruffly. One pair of footsteps leaves and the same person speaks again.

"We'll follow the other one."

Deceased tributes:
Clairy Mason (Careers)