The Quell envelope

Maya Sinder's POV (District 12):

I wait anxiously on the rugged sofa for the announcement to come on. My mother is sitting beside me with baby Ash. His big brown eyes are filled with curiosity and his toothless smile gives me hope. Maybe I won't be picked this year. I doubt it though. Last week the peacekeepers caught me out past curfew. They told me that since the Games were coming up I should watch out. They left me to worry about it until the reapings. I'm sure they've rigged it somehow.

Before I can think about it anymore the small, blurry screen flickers on. The face of the President shows up smiling back at me. President Jean is holding a pastel yellow envelope with the number 150 printed elegantly in gold on the flap.
"Good afternoon Panem! Today I am very excited, and I'm sure you are too, to find out what the Quarter Quell twist will be. Good luck, and of course, may the odds be ever in your favour." She smiles falsely at the camera and proceeds to open the envelope with her elaborately painted nails. She reads the short script in her head and smiles.

"During the rebellion, where all of the districts rebelled against the Capitol, the people fought against us. But not everyone participated. Some were bystanders who did nothing to help, and some where Capitol citizens caught in between the war. So for this years Quell, not every district will compete. We will reap each district like we reap tributes. Only 6 districts will compete and 4 tributes will be drawn from each district." The President pauses for a minute before continuing her monotonous speech. "Well! I think we can all agree that the 150th Annual Hunger Games is going to be a great lesson to us all. And...may the odds be ever in you favour." She says one last time.

A/N: For those of you reading, thank you so much! I just wanted to mention my friend 3ChubbyBunnies ! Go check out her story, it's awesome!