District 3 Reaping

Alyssa Jewel's POV:

The thin glass shatters against the wall and the picture crumbles on the floor. I pick up the small photo and toss it in the fire. I watch Dad's grim face melt into the flames.
"I.Hate.Him." I scream."End of story. He left us to die. To marry someone else. He never loved any of us!"

My mother stands in the doorway watching me. She doesn't even flinch when I snap the picture frame in my hands. She recently lost her job and ever since mom found out he had another family, things have been going down hill. Apparently after I was born, he started to see this other woman. Then Ryan was born and he left. That was 16 years ago. I barely even knew him, and yet he's ruined everything. He became an assistant in the Justice Building and now his new family is rich and he left us with nothing. Nothing.

I start crying and run into mother's arms. At least we still have enough money to keep the house for another two months. She feels so guilty about losing her job and feels that it's all her responsibility to keep up going.
"You should get Ryan, it's time to go."
I nod.

Ryan and I walk to the reaping in silence. He's fine with everything. He doesn't care. He says that it's not all Dad's fault. But it is. Were we not enough for him? We weren't rich and perfect?

Ryan is the same age as one of his other kids, Titus, who also has a younger brother, Eric. They'll all be at the reaping probably and I'll have to see that retched family again.

The reaping is already filled with people and the mayor is giving a speech. I jog up to the line and people prick my finger. I slip into the 17 year old section and look back to try and see Ryan.

"Ladies and gentlemen of District 3, let the 150th Hunger Games begin!" The horribly dressed escort picks a slip from a big glass bowl on a table.

"Avery Bliss!" She calls. A tall girl with fiery red hair walks up to the stage nervously. "Avery...no!" Someone shouts from the back. A girl that looks almost identical to Avery is holding back a little girl who's crying. She desperately tries to quiet her before the peacekeepers come. The girl that was reaped states her name and says that she's 16.
" Seydi Donner."
A girl with reddish hair walks up to the stage and stares out among the crowd with her dark eyes. Her hair is tainted slightly gold in the sun and a few stray pieces from her bun frame her faces. She says she's 13 and then the escort ushers her to a chair and picks another name.

"Alyssa Jewel! Ooh what a pretty a name." The escort squeals. I'm pretty sure her name is Joy Flowershine...soo.

I'm not scared. I will not be weak. I walk up to the escort and smirk.
"Alyssa Jewel, 17." I say into the mic. The escort smiles at me and is about to pick another name when she turns to me.
"You know what, Alyssa? Why don't you pick someone." She explains. This is my chance. I scan the crowd and my eyes land on a strong guy with gold-blonde hair and a tough expression. Almost like Dad.
"I pick Titus Winters." I say as calmly has possible. But this is pay back. The boy looks like he's going to punch me when he walks towards me and I'm about to laugh at how annoying he is. He's picked on me at school all these years and teased me that my Dad liked him more, but I don't care anymore. This is my revenge.
"Titus Winters,16." He drawls into the microphone. Such an arrogant, careless person. Dad left us so he could have a new family. So he could escape the poverty and leave us behind. Well now look, I'm taking his son into the Games with me.

District 3 tributes:
Avery Bliss (16)
Titus Winters (16)
Seydi Donner (13)
Alyssa Jewel (17)