The District Reaping

Maya Sinder's POV: (it will be different POVs throughout the book not her only)

I feel like crying alongside Ash this morning. He sits in my mothers arms with tears streaming down his small, chubby face. I wonder if he know's my death is approaching.

Most of District 12 is watching the reaping in the square but with baby Ash we decided to stay home. The President has been talking about Capitol problems and shortages for the past half an hour and I just want her to start the reaping. I can see her motioning for an escort to step forward and she disappears from view. A short man with metallic bronze hair steps in front of a microphone on a platform to the side. His skin is tainted a faint bronze and his hair is the same but with shimmering grey strands lacing it. When he smiles, even his teeth are the colour of rust. Despite his Capitol fashion sense he still has a somewhat happy, reassuring vibe to him. Unlike the President he doesn't waste time with long speeches. He reaches his hand into the small glass bowl containing only 12 slips.
"District 6, the district of transportation!" I can hear cheering in the background from the Capitol people but I'm sure the kids from 6 aren't too happy.
"District 10, livestock!"
So far it's been only outlying Districts.
"District 3, electronics!"
That'll be interesting. Usually they have cool mechanisms or traps they can make in the arena.
"District 4, fishing!"
That District usually does well. They all have experience with tridents and nets.

My palms are getting clammy and I can't sit still. They're probably saving 12 for last, just to torture me.

"District 9, grain!" The escort claps,"Last one."
I bite my lip nervously and hold Ash's small hand. The escort reaches in and pulls a small piece of paper out.
"District...2, masonry! Congratulations to all the Districts that get to be represented in this year's Quell."

I'm safe. I did it, 12 wasn't picked. I'm safe, I made it, I'm not going to die.
I keep telling myself these things until I hear the heavy knocks of peacekeepers at my door.

A/N: Please create characters! Thanks.