A Story of A Single Mother

"It was still 4 am in the morning. But if I waited a bit longer, there's a chance I wouldn't have enough time to have dinner with my son tonight." That's what I thought to myself as I got up and got dressed for the day. 

I started the stove, cooking a few sandwiches and toasting some bread to take with me to work. My little boy could prepare his own breakfast so I could just quickly pack my meal and leave early. 

"Mama?" 

I turned to the staircase. "Will? Why are you already awake sweetheart. It's still 4:30 am." 

"I want to say goodbye to you before you left." 

My heart is about to explode. 

I quickly gave him a hug, the biggest hug I've got. "Thank you sweetheart. But please, go back to bed. You'll get sick if you don't get enough sleep. If you get sick, mommy will be really REALLY sad you know. You don't want mommy to be sad right." 

Will giggled. "No mama. I promise I'll quickly go back to sleep. But..." 

His smiling face quickly turned into a sad one. "What's wrong?" I asked. 

"Will you be home in time for dinner?" He asked, his eyes twinkling in desperation. 

I let out a sly smile. "Oh sweetheart. When have I ever been late for dinner?" 

That's right. I've never been late to get home. Not even once. One, because I love my son too much to leave him too long. Two, I have retrocognition magic, the ability to go to the past, see the past, and rewind time. I could do other things to but it'll take to long to explain. 

Will waved goodbye as I walked out into the green pastures that surround the lone windmill that we call home. I waved back before hoped on my broom and head north towards the border between the Clover kingdom, and the strong mana zones that is not owned by any kingdom because of how hostile it is. 

You see, using my powers, I looked back into the past of that particular area and discovered that people of the past loves to build dungeons in this area, for whatever reason. So what I do is that I'll locate a dungeon, take some gold and magic artifacts, and sell the artifacts in the black market. A solid source of income if you ask me. 

Is this legal? Oh heck no. It has been decreed for years that all dungeons are to be reported to the magic knight administration and are only allowed to be excavated by magic knights. All it's resources are also only allowed to be taken by magic knights and is considered as the Kingdom's property. 

This is where it gets problematic. None of the money made from the dungeons goes back to the people. They are all cooped up in the Royal Capital just sitting there unused. If they sell it or something, they could make schools, better roads, support the villages in the forsaken realms, and many more. The nobles are probably the ones just enjoying all the goods. The thought of it just makes me sick. 

After 2 hours of flying (because that was how far my home was to the location), I found myself on a huge forest that stretched as far as the eyes can see. I pulled out my grimoire. The lapis lazuli cover shimmered in the morning sun as I closed my eyes. 

"Retrocognition magic: Territorial Rewind." 

The forest around me started to change rapidly, like a video tape played backwards in a quick speed. Some trees stayed as is as others grew smaller and smaller until they were nothing but a seeds and disappeared into non existence. 

I waited, spectating the whole thing until I see that at one point, there were no trees in a certain location. People started to appear. They brought bricks and stone and began building something. I smirked.